Attention Texas.... or anyone else - Picture added!!!! SOLD

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowcrazy

We live in Texas and raise a few shorthorn calves which we try to sell for show steers/heifers.  I have a Wildside steer that we are going to try to sell to one of the local 4-H's. We always try to price our calves very reasonably, being X 4-Her's ourselves. We are wondering, since so many cattle were sold over the summer due to the drought, if there are a lot of show steers available. Have the prices gone up due to the increased cost of raising cattle? We want to be fair and price him reasonably, but don't want to leave any money on the table, cause we sure have been putting plenty into them! Thanks in advance!

kfacres

cowcrazy said:
We live in Texas and raise a few shorthorn calves which we try to sell for show steers/heifers.  I have a Wildside steer that we are going to try to sell to one of the local 4-H's. We always try to price our calves very reasonably, being X 4-Her's ourselves. We are wondering, since so many cattle were sold over the summer due to the drought, if there are a lot of show steers available. Have the prices gone up due to the increased cost of raising cattle? We want to be fair and price him reasonably, but don't want to leave any money on the table, cause we sure have been putting plenty into them! Thanks in advance!

charge what you are either A- can aford to lose- or B- can get paid.

chambero

Fall born calves will be worth $1,000 to $1200 to feedlot buyers early this summer as 600 lb calves.  Common, short bred replacement heifers will be costing $2,000 hd later this spring.  Price your calves accordingly. 

It has affected how low I'm willing to let my average calves go for.  But as always, it depends on the feeder and how bad I want to get one shown.  And whether the buyer needs some help or not.  Honestly, I'll still take care of the good kids that will do a good job if they need a break in order to get to show.  But I'm not taking $1,000 for calves.

cowcrazy

Chambero- Thanks for the info. This steer was born 10/10/11 and weighs 500 pounds. I might try to post a picture so you can see what you think of him.

kfacres

cowcrazy said:
Chambero- Thanks for the info. This steer was born 10/10/11 and weighs 500 pounds. I might try to post a picture so you can see what you think of him.
I personally, would love to see the Wildside son.. I'm perhaps as much of a beliver in that bull as anyone.

kfacres

Real cool- thanks for sharing...  made like all the other Wildside's I have seen-- but with about 90% more color... ;)  Almost every calf I have seen or heard of from him has been a super light red spotted necked roan...

What's the other calf, and how do they compare age wise?

cowcrazy

Thanks BS. The calf next to him is a Gus heifer. She is 6 months old and he is 4 months. She is the one that I was posting about being in heat and he is the one that was jumping her!

kfacres

I would not be suprised to see a 4 mo old Wildside son coming into sexual maturity... They tend to be smaller framed, earlier maturing cattle-- depending on the bottom side of course.  I forgot to ask- what is his bottom side- and is he from a first calf heifer? 

Your Gus heifer- is the 2nd offspring I have seen in a week- that I have liked... 

cowcrazy

To all of you that have PM'd me regarding wanting to see this steer, thank you for your interest! I have someone coming to look at him this afternoon, so I will contact you personally to let you know if he is available. Thanks, again!

BS - this is his momma's second calf. Her first calf was a JPJ heifer that we sold. She was a smaller framed heifer (no surprise from JPJ) but they took her to San Antonio this year and she placed 5th in her class of 25. The mom is a Pacer X Surf cow. Thanks for the comment on the Gus heifer!

kfacres

cowcrazy said:
To all of you that have PM'd me regarding wanting to see this steer, thank you for your interest! I have someone coming to look at him this afternoon, so I will contact you personally to let you know if he is available. Thanks, again!

BS - this is his momma's second calf. Her first calf was a JPJ heifer that we sold. She was a smaller framed heifer (no surprise from JPJ) but they took her to San Antonio this year and she placed 5th in her class of 25. The mom is a Pacer X Surf cow. Thanks for the comment on the Gus heifer!

I can't tell- but is that a square head with horn buds coming through?  Have you used much of Wildside in the past or future?

cowcrazy

Thanks to all of you that have expressed an interest in our steer. We sold him this afternoon.

BS- this was our first Wildside calf. I would use him again. He had a low birth weight, and grew really fast. He does have some horn buds coming out the side. That and the fact that he wasn't clipped, may make his head look a little square.