Aus Shorthorn genetics

Help Support Steer Planet:

thunderdownunder

Doc said:
Hey TDU, What are your thoughts on Moombi Powerplay? I have one coming this next year. I always thought on the ones that I've seen that he added some thickness & maybe a touch of frame.

Wow, that's some old genetice there!! lol. Given that, I haven't seen any direct progeny of the bull here for some time, but I did see several cows at John Thompson's place in Manitoba when I visited at the start of this year, and they were some very nice cows. It's good to see how well the Aussie and Canadian genetics, in particular, seem to click.

You would definitely get some frame from Powerplay J89 I'd say.

ETA- Powerplay is by one of my all time favourite bulls, Wyarama Pepper, who sired the great white bull, Wyarama Vicar. Now there's another good herd there!! The dam of Powerplay, Mandalong Enia 6th, is another female who's left quite a mark on the breed, mainly through her daughters.

thunderdownunder

So here's a cow that's been pictured on the board recently, that is out of a Powerplay daugheter...

Attachments

• kit kat.jpg
    kit kat.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 395
J

JTM

This is our Australian Shorthorn cow. The story is that Wankel Farms bought her as an embryo from Australia. The whole pedigree isn't australian but I thought I would include this for the discussion. She has worked really well with several different bulls. We just got 8 good eggs flushing her to DF Waco.

*x3818499 PM GR COMBO
                                                              *xAU9208795 BLUE RIDGE TRITAN 76B
                                                                                  3901326 WINALOT LAURA'S TRIUMPH
Sire: *x3987324 SPRYS JACKPOT P69
                                                                                    xA8402353 WYARAMA PEPPER
                                                              x3976494 SPRYS G9 PEPPERS ENIA
                                                                                  x3976495 SPRYS PROPHETS ENIA 3RD

xAU7700638 LONE PINE ASTOR 2ND YL
                                                              xAU8201708 HIGHDENUP KENTDALE
                                                                                    xAU7802869 NEPOWIE LARUEL 23RD
Dam: x3993542 NARRALDA THELMA 10TH
                                                                                    xAU7102821 BUNDALEER WESTON
                                                                xAU7701116 MALGRAE THEMLA 37TH
                                                                                      xAU7301644 MALGRAE THELMA 17TH

Attachments

• Athena.gif
    Athena.gif
    69.6 KB · Views: 194

justintime

JTM said:
This is our Australian Shorthorn cow. The story is that Wankel Farms bought her as an embryo from Australia. The whole pedigree isn't australian but I thought I would include this for the discussion. She has worked really well with several different bulls. We just got 8 good eggs flushing her to DF Waco.

*x3818499 PM GR COMBO
                                                                                    xA8402353 WYARAMA PEPPER

Wankel Farms and Spry's Shorthorns from Wagga Wagga, Australia did a joint venture on a large group of embryos. Sprys sent over the embryos to the US and the resulting calves were sold in Wankel's Production sale. Your Thelma female was in that sale, and I remember her well. She was one of the best Aussie heifers sold that day. Unfortunately, these Aussie genetics were not accepted as well as they probably should have been, and they did not sell very well. Many of these heifers ( like yours) did develop into excellent brood cows.I purchased an Aussie bred bull calf named WF Around the World, for Bignells in Alberta. He did a good job for them.  This was the same sale where the original Mattis and Mirage females sold. I doubt if there was anyone in attendance that fully understood the breed history that would be generated by these two females.

J

JTM

justintime said:
JTM said:

*x3818499 PM GR COMBO
                                                                                    xA8402353 WYARAMA PEPPER

Wankel Farms and Spry's Shorthorns from Wagga Wagga, Australia did a joint venture on a large group of embryos. Sprys sent over the embryos to the US and the resulting calves were sold in Wankel's Production sale. Your Thelma female was in that sale, and I remember her well. She was one of the best Aussie heifers sold that day. Unfortunately, these Aussie genetics were not accepted as well as they probably should have been, and they did not sell very well. Many of these heifers ( like yours) did develop into excellent brood cows.I purchased an Aussie bred bull calf named WF Around the World, for Bignells in Alberta. He did a good job for them.  This was the same sale where the original Mattis and Mirage females sold. I doubt if there was anyone in attendance that fully understood the breed history that would be generated by these two females.

Wow! Thanks for the info. That is very interesting. I think we will start naming her daughters using the Thelma cow family name. We have only had three since we have owned her.

J

JTM

Okotoks, I couldn't find what the letter mean't after their name. Do you know? APX? P? AI? Thanks.

J

JTM

Thanks justintime. I could guess two of them but the APX wasn't ringing a bell. I'm not sure why Okotoks would say they are prolific? Are they just well known animals or was there something else I was missing?

Okotoks

JTM said:
Thanks justintime. I could guess two of them but the APX wasn't ringing a bell. I'm not sure why Okotoks would say they are prolific? Are they just well known animals or was there something else I was missing?
I was referring to Narralda Thelma 10th and several of her descendants having up to 10 calves registered in the herd book. I don't think they would hang around that long if they were not producing. Add to that they were producing through some pretty challenging times during the drought.

J

JTM

Thanks Okotoks. That makes sense because Athena is going on 13 yrs old and just had her best flush in years. Thanks again for the info everyone.

thunderdownunder

JTM said:

*x3818499 PM GR COMBO
                                                                                    xA8402353 WYARAMA PEPPER

That's an interesting pedigree there. On the dam's side, the cow goes back to some very old, very respected bloodlines.
On the bottom, the P69 bull is a 1994 model... it's interesting that he has such high growth figures still. There is a payoff though- he has a very big birthweight. He's a trait leader for 20-day weight and eye muscle area. 253 birthweight progeny and 412 progeny analysed, and used in 36 herds.
Oh, and he goes back to my old favourite Wyarama Pepper  :)

J

JTM

thunderdownunder said:
JTM said:

*x3818499 PM GR COMBO
                                                                                    xA8402353 WYARAMA PEPPER

That's an interesting pedigree there. On the dam's side, the cow goes back to some very old, very respected bloodlines.
On the bottom, the P69 bull is a 1994 model... it's interesting that he has such high growth figures still. There is a payoff though- he has a very big birthweight. He's a trait leader for 20-day weight and eye muscle area. 253 birthweight progeny and 412 progeny analysed, and used in 36 herds.
The birthweights of her calves have been very reasonable since I have owned her. She had a Jakes Proud Jazz bull that was about 90 lbs and that has been the highest of the calves. Another crossbred bull calf was around 85-90 but didn't weigh him. The rest have been ET calves and they have been good BW's.

Okotoks

thunderdownunder said:
JTM said:

*x3818499 PM GR COMBO
                                                                                    xA8402353 WYARAMA PEPPER

SPRYS JACKPOT P69 is also a paternal brother to The Grove Blue Dale 2nd the dam of The Grove Kookaburra W735. Andy Withers said the dam of The Grove Blue Dale 2nd was a great cow. Kookaburra was one of Belmore's herd bulls.

coyote

TDU tell me about the ENIA cow family. I heard stories years ago that they came from Maine Anjou blood. If you turn the letters around and add a "M" what do you got "MAINE"

thunderdownunder

Okotoks said:
SPRYS JACKPOT P69 is also a paternal brother to The Grove Blue Dale 2nd the dam of The Grove Kookaburra W735. Andy Withers said the dam of The Grove Blue Dale 2nd was a great cow. Kookaburra was one of Belmore's herd bulls.

The Grove Dale 39th - Blue Dale's dam - is undoubtedly a breed great. She has 36 progeny registered and so many have gone on to do great things.
Aside from Kookaburra, there is also Kasprowicz W791 who won the 'triple crown' of grand champion bull in 2003 - Rocky Beef, Brisbane Royal and Sydney Royal, where he teamed up with my partner's grand champion cow and they won the interbreed Hordern Trophy.
Then there is Oscar A748, by Lockyer X857, another bull that's impressed a lot of people and who's first calves are just hitting the sale rings. He won at Brisbane Royal too, and sold for a $50,000 half share.
Another great is her daughter, Locky's Dale A743 (flush sister to Oscar), who is a tremendous female and won at Sydney Royal and also Brisbane.

Here's some pics of her progeny.

Attachments

• Dale Z046.jpg
    Dale Z046.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 309
  • Legends Dale A755.jpg
    Legends Dale A755.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 199
  • Oscar A748.jpg
    Oscar A748.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 206
  • Lawman X264.jpg
    Lawman X264.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 302

thunderdownunder

coyote said:
TDU tell me about the ENIA cow family. I heard stories years ago that they came from Maine Anjou blood. If you turn the letters around and add a "M" what do you got "MAINE"

That's something I think I might be too young to answer! I know that all of the Mandalong Enia's are by Royal Gary, who went back to Highbank Royal Duke on the top. None of his pedigree appears to have appendix cattle in it though there are several SPR's. His sire was imported in utero from the US - so, I don't know where that takes us!! I'd have to do a bit more research on this one.

I like your point about Enia spelt backwards!!

Okotoks

thunderdownunder said:
coyote said:

That's something I think I might be too young to answer! I know that all of the Mandalong Enia's are by Royal Gary, who went back to Highbank Royal Duke on the top. None of his pedigree appears to have appendix cattle in it though there are several SPR's. His sire was imported in utero from the US - so, I don't know where that takes us!! I'd have to do a bit more research on this one.

I like your point about Enia spelt backwards!!
I think Highbank Royal Duke is Maine free, he was born in 1957, several years before Maine's were imported to North America! You used to be able to tell when Australian animals were born because their registration number started with their year of birth.

thunderdownunder

Okotoks said:
I think Highbank Royal Duke is Maine free, he was born in 1957, several years before Maine's were imported to North America! You used to be able to tell when Australian animals were born because their registration number started with their year of birth.

The old rego system is terrible- makes it very hard to look up animals. You can tell how old they are by the year letter (just like yours). ie, F is the letter for 2010. To look up an animal, you only need to know the animal's tattoo, and the breeder's tattoo. So, Kookaburra is BDBW735. BDB= The Grove, W735= year and his number. If you wanted to look up an older animal and weren't sure of it's name, it would take you forever to find it!!

justintime

I would not expect that the Mandalong Enia cows had any Maine in them, as the Maine breed was not imported yet when most of them were around. I have my suspicions about some other lines, but since I have no proof, I will not mention them. One bull that has been discussed in this thread, by pedigree was 8 generations polled and he sired a great number of horned animals. This is not proof of anything, but I have always wondered about him, especially when the herd that bred him imported a number of Maine X Shorthorn embryos from the US. Just saying,.....

Latest posts