Awareness to the REAL beef industry (not that vegan stuff)

Help Support Steer Planet:

hj.380

Hey guys, so for a school project I was asked to do something I care about, and attempt to make a change in the world. Well, what do I care about more that cattle? I have decided to create a blog about the real truths of the beef industry instead of the fake ones P.E.T.A. And other places have created.... but I need help. I already have my introduction blog up, but I need readers in order to get it to really make a difference. So, please spread the word and give me a read if you don't mind! The blog is: cattlefarmingtruth.blogspot.com thank you all so much for your support!

RyanChandler

Will you be taking an objective neutral position or an equally extreme pro position in an attempt to offset the extremes of the likes of PETA?

hj.380

-XBAR- said:
Will you be taking an objective neutral position or an equally extreme pro position in an attempt to offset the extremes of the likes of PETA?

I will be attempting to be as neutral as possible, while presenting the beef farmer's point of view, however I must say that there may be some person experiences quoted. I will be using quotes from P.E.T.A. and disputing these "facts", but I will attempt to be as objective as I can be. I hope this answers your question. You can check it out and feel free to direct message me with any questions or comments!

idalee

The truth,  the whole truth and nothing but the truth.  Taking sides doesn't belong in scientific discussion.  Just be aware that you will have now plastered a big target on  your back because groups like PETA don't like the truth.  Good luck in your undertaking.  It should be a great education for all concerned but mostly for you. 

knabe

-XBAR- said:

anyone having a different opinion than PETA is by definition extreme.

why does PETA need to kill any animals at all? 

why shouldn't they be held to a 100% adoption rate.

otherwise, shut up.

hj.380

knabe said:
-XBAR- said:

anyone having a different opinion than PETA is by definition extreme.

why does PETA need to kill any animals at all? 

why shouldn't they be held to a 100% adoption rate.

otherwise, shut up.

Can you please DM me, and explain what exactly you mean? Thank you.

knabe

Think of the pain grass goes through when we mow it, or bacteria that die in our guts.

Or swatting flies and mosquitoes.

Doesn't anyone have feelings for them? 

Where is peta or the equivalent for them

Gargan

knabe said:
Think of the pain grass goes through when we mow it, or bacteria that die in our guts.

Or swatting flies and mosquitoes.

Doesn't anyone have feelings for them? 

Where is peta or the equivalent for them
This is brilliant!
PETA should have a rally in the Everglades about dusk in July so that the mosquitos don't go hungry!!  <rock>

Sir Loin

hj,
Good for you, but I think if you are going to try to educate the public you need to start at the beginning and clearly define the fact that not all bovine “ meat” is beef.
Beef comes from beef cattle, not dairy cattle. Meat comes from dairy cattle.
When beef and dairy meat are commingled , as in ground meat, it's meat. If beef from beef cattle only is ground it is ground beef.
And when you are address the truth and myths, be sure you and PETA are talking about beef or dairy cattle. Always make sure which cattle apply.
Castration applies to both. And you left out the part about young in tact bulls possibly breeding their siblings and chasing a cow in heat and keeping the herd bull from breeding her.
Re: “ In an article by the RollingStone.com, they discuss entering in a barn, filled with young calves. “
This is rarely, if ever, seen in the beef industry but is seen in the dairy industry regularly. So it needs to be pointed out this is not a beef problem but instead a dairy problem, before you address it.
Hope this helps and good luck.

knabe

some cultures have 30-60% first cousin marriages.

Not sure rolling stone should be worried about closely related cattle breeding each other.

Same with genital mutilation.

It amazes me how stupid people are. 

It also amazes me that the same idiots who won't tolerate it in animals will defend it in humans and call any criticism of that racist.  Not really racist since according to them race is a social construct.

Not sure which way they are flopping in the wind with progtards.

They probably are against abortion in animals and that it's cruel.

One thing is for sure, they can't take criticism, but they sure can dish it out, or get pissed. 

I say give them what they ask for, good and hard and often.

Sir Loin

Not that I'm a PETA fan, or a fan of any other animal rights group, but we in the cattle business do bring some criticism on our selves. Particularly the dairy industry.
IMO, in the cattle industry there are far to many cows being held way to long to the point they look like nothing but skin and bones.

knabe

maybe we could use some of that checkoff money to incentivize the tallow works to be more available to pick up cows before they are downers.

money seems to work good.

Sir Loin

IMO I think it would be better if cattlemen understood they should cull cows before they become downers while they still have value and are not a liability to both themselves and the industry.
I myself cull my cows after they produce 10 to 12 calves depending on their BCS while I can still get out of them what I paid for them as a heifer. To me that's a no brainer.

idalee

Sir Loin,  you need to visit some modern dairy operations before  you continue to spout off about something of which you know so little.

knabe

How are downer cows handled?

How are they prevented?

What are the different causes?

How is one supposed to pick up a downer?

Sir Loin

Re: “How are downer cows handled?”
That depends on the reason she is a downer and her worth. I certainly wouldn't spend $100 - $500 to save an old worn out cow or a severely injured cow with little chance of a recovery. I would dispatch them.

Re: “How are they prevented?”
There have been many books written on that, so I will simple “ the use of proper management “ to cover them all.

Re: “What are the different causes? “
Old age ( dehydration/malnutrition )
Injury
toxic poisoning
disease 

Re: “How is one supposed to pick up a downer? “
You don't unless she is dead.
With a proper evaluation of her condition you should know if it's worth treating her so she will be able to get up on her own.
The best way to treat downers is to not have them through proper management in the first place. 

knabe

Hoping for something more specific.

What is average of downer.

Maybe don't have cows over age x

So wait till the downer is dead, then pick her up.

Still not clear what proper management is.

How does poisoning in a confinement arise.

What 2 or 3 things could one do to get rid of 90% of downers?

Slaughter after reaching age 5, 7 anything.

Sir Loin

Re: “What is average of downer.”
That's a hard one to answer because not all dowers are reported and it depends on which breed and segment of the  supply chain you are talking about. You could try researching “ cattle, mortality rate “ of individual segments and add them up and assume they were downers before they became a mortality.
See: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4QhvFvzlrzEJ:https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahms/beefcowcalf/downloads/beef0708/Beef0708_is_Mortality.pdf+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Maybe don't have cows over age x
Yes, as I already said:  “ IMO I think it would be better if cattlemen understood they should cull cows before they become downers while they still have value and are not a liability to both themselves and the industry.
I myself cull my cows after they produce 10 to 12 calves depending on their BCS while I can still get out of them what I paid for them as a heifer. To me that's a no brainer.”

Re: “ So wait till the downer is dead, then pick her up. “
Yes, but that does not mean you do not try to help her recover when possible. If I had a downer cow with a broken leg, I would dispatch her, then pick her up and dispose of her. If I had a downer cow from exhaustion/dehydration from trying to give birth, I would try to assist her and get her back on her feet in a reasonable amount of time. 3 - 5 days, but I would not pick her up.