back in the day...Polled Durham Heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

beebe

I visited with Tracy Duncan the managing editor of the Shorthorn Country Magazine today.  When I mentioned the cow she was very apologetic.  It was not the first time she had herd a comment about that picture.  She stated that they were short of pictures.  She asked if I could send her some better ones?  I told her that I would try to bring something positive from this situation and so I will try to get some pictures of some frame score 4, 1250 pound cows that don't very much in their condition.

mark tenenbaum

aj said:
I'm kinda with x-bar on this one. I live in Sherman county Ks. There are a lot of ranch cows.....around here that are a 4 to five condition score. These are successful operations that make money. There is thin line between over feeding a cow and under feeding a cow as far as profit goes. Like always the majority of purebred people don't even comprehend this concept. It's all about propaganda.
  What few (around 10 and not at all good compared to before) are in Salina and Raymond-in strictly commrtcial conditions-they dont get any grain or drylot-decent hay and some mineral and hope it doesnt get dry.But at leas they are not overgrazed and if one is not well they get a shot-Or if grass is late they go out a little later-Thats all about any cows need to maintain enough condition not to go down like the one in the picture-Ive seen them get like that and never really come back-I dont BUY the Sh*^^$t about them being on the edge of starvation then looking like fat steers a few months later-and there is NO EXCUSE for allowing them to go under like that-They dont get like that in a short time window-the owners dont know anything about managing cattle-and shouldnt have them O0

aj

I think it is ridiculous to judge a cows nourishment level by a picture......one half of the cow showing. She has a rough hair coat. I don't see any ribs. I never judge cattle by a photo. How old is she? Is she 3 years old or 12 years old. Its just not sound science to tear into a photo. You say there is 10 Shorthorn breeders who don't feed grain to their cows. Man.....if that is the case......its over already.......might as well not have a magazine. Maybe the publicity will be good for magazine........maybe it's a Donald Trump style of creating interest.......

librarian

The logo is neat, but I prefer the early 1900's prototypes in Peru, Indiana...at the beginning of the post.

Attachments

• IMG_8456.PNG
    IMG_8456.PNG
    258.6 KB · Views: 269

idalee

This picture of Glenn Knolls Monarch is interesting for another reason.  Many of the larger shorthorn bulls of that day were pictured in deep straw to make their legs look short.

beebe

aj said:
I think it is ridiculous to judge a cows nourishment level by a picture......one half of the cow showing. She has a rough hair coat. I don't see any ribs. I never judge cattle by a photo. How old is she? Is she 3 years old or 12 years old. Its just not sound science to tear into a photo. You say there is 10 Shorthorn breeders who don't feed grain to their cows. Man.....if that is the case......its over already.......might as well not have a magazine. Maybe the publicity will be good for magazine........maybe it's a Donald Trump style of creating interest.......
AJ I don't understand what you mean by it is over already. Can you elaborate for me please?

aj

If there is truly only 10 Shorthorn breeders in the United States that don't feed grain to there cows........the Shorthorn breed will not be successful in the Beef Industry. They will be a show breed.....a zoo breed.......a show breed. The commercial cows reason for existing is to take a low quality roughage and turn into a great protein source in search for a profit on ground unable to be farmed.

beebe

aj said:
If there is truly only 10 Shorthorn breeders in the United States that don't feed grain to there cows........the Shorthorn breed will not be successful in the Beef Industry. They will be a show breed.....a zoo breed.......a show breed. The commercial cows reason for existing is to take a low quality roughage and turn into a great protein source in search for a profit on ground unable to be farmed.
Thanks AJ, I agree with you.  I quit feeding grain to my replacement heifers 20 years ago.  It is tempting from an economic point of view as corn and hay are about the same price per pound.  However I want to continue to challenge my herd nutritionally and reproductively so that means forage.

oakview

It's interesting to me how different folks in different areas of the continent operate and how they run their cattle.  I always try to remember that requirements and needs are so variable from area to area.  In central Iowa, for example, we have absolutely no concern for fescue tolerance.  In other areas, it obviously is of prime concern.  I, too, thought the cow on the cover of the magazine was a little on the thin side.  However, I see no reason to bash the entire breed as some have.  Shorthorns have no corner on the hard doing market.  I drive by a neighbor with black cows that are at least as thin as the cow in question, many of them thinner.  He grinds bean straw, corn stalks, and grass hay.  I have another neighbor that had some black Simmental cows and tried to winter them one year on nothing but bean straw bales.  He added some energy when one died.  Another neighbor has Hereford and black white face cows.  They are in very good to excellent condition.  He feeds corn silage spiked with 10 pounds of corn per head per day.  I would wager most anybodies' cows would stay in decent shape fed like that.  Even the old fullblood Simmentals (anybody remember Signal?)  I guess I just get a little frustrated when I see people try to tell everybody how to care for their cattle.