Baffled!!!!?????

Help Support Steer Planet:

Duncraggan

justintime said:
I hear so many people say that many of the high selling animals are fake prices. I will agree that some aren't, but I truly think that many are real. I had occasion to talk with a man who purchased a heifer calf for $120,000 a few years ago. He told me his logic and to me, it made sense. He said that he had just completed two major road contracts for his state, and had just received payment of over $2 Million. He said this was going to create some major tax implications for his company and he just decided that rather than just pay all the tax and let the government decide where it should be spent, that his daughter was going to have some fun showing a good heifer. To him, the price did not matter. I think the point is that we do not know everyone's situation, and oftentimes, just because we would not pay that much for an animal, doesn't mean that no one else would. Personally, I don't think most cattle prices have kept up with other things we have to buy. I am often amused when I go to a sale and see a long line up of fancy trucks and trailers which combined would probably cost in excess of $75,000, yet most of these same people would struggle to buy an animal for more than $5000. I know which purchase is going to make you the most return!
I've said this before, the 'relatively' ignorant paying ridiculous prices for animals equates to the novice/poor driver buying a Ferrari.  If you have the money, spend it on what your heart desires!

I am not the best marketer of my product, but to the good marketer, well done for getting the money out of his pocket into yours!

forcheyhawk

I've often learned in life that just because I don't understand something someone else is doing that it doesn't make them stupid.  Case in point, I watched a really prominent donor (wasn't as prominent at the time she sold though) sell for more money than I make in a year's time.  That said, I had enough in my 401k that I could have loaned to pick her up.  She's made WAY more money than more 401k by the way.  :)  Yeah those guys that bought her didn't have a clue.  RIGHT!

home2012

It's waaaay too easy to get caught up in the OMG's of how much some of the show cattle sell for.  In the auto industry, we say "There's a butt for every seat".... I suppose there's a halter for every heifer in this game.  Some cost more than others, but come with more help and more "perks".  I used to think there was no way there were that many people with $50k - $200k to spend on single animals...but...keeping the mouth shut and ears open has shown me I was wrong.  America seems to have quite a bit more disposable income than I ever imagined possible.

RankeCattleCo

home2012 said:
America seems to have quite a bit more disposable income than I ever imagined possible.

If people have a good year and corn is high... Or built a lot of houses as a general contractor... Made a lot of money as a market hedger... Why not buy your kids the best show animal you can and save yourself some taxes?