bantamine

Help Support Steer Planet:

smo

what is the withdraw date for bantamine does any one know of the top of their head

Lucky_P

Keep in mind, that 4 days slaughter withdrawal time is for appropriate dosage, given by the allowed route - intravenous. Only.

If you give more than the approved dose, multiple doses, or give it by an unapproved route - subcutaneous or intramuscular - it's likely that residues will persist longer - and there are no established withdrawal times for that drug, given to cattle by those routes.  FARAD may have some guidelines.
From the manufacturer's data sheet: "Approved only for intravenous administration in cattle. Intramuscular administration has resulted in violative residues in the edible tissues of cattle sent to slaughter."

If you look at some of the violative residue reports, flunixin(Banamine) is a 'frequent flyer' - and a LOT of them are in beef from cull dairy cattle; probably treated repeatedly, and possibly by routes other than IV.  But, beef producers are not faultless - plenty of folks misuse this drug, and others, on a daily basis.

BTDT

It scares me to death when someone ask about a prescription only drug and not only can they not spell it, but if it was gotten legally, the vet that prescribed and gave them the medicine would have clearly labeled and told them the withdrawal time and the way to administer it.
I can safely assume that it was not acquired legally?

smo

i didnt even say i have it now did i. but it was legally acquired............ and i love how you assume things maybe im not even giving it and was just wondering if any one knows.....
im not even giving it to my calf was just thinking of something and had an idea and wanted to know so dont be a dick wad just trying to learn as much as i can
some people on here have nothing to do but try and start shit im sick of it if you arnt even gonna answer a question or ask something helpful or trying to be helpful then just dont even post

BTDT

smo said:
i didnt even say i have it now did i. but it was legally acquired............ and i love how you assume things maybe im not even giving it and was just wondering if any one knows.....
im not even giving it to my calf was just thinking of something and had an idea and wanted to know so dont be a dick wad just trying to learn as much as i can
some people on here have nothing to do but try and start **** im sick of it if you arnt even gonna answer a question or ask something helpful or trying to be helpful then just dont even post

This is a family friendly board, please either clean up your language and show some maturity, or stop posting. 

Helpful answer - Ask your question to the vet you acquired it from. I am sure they are very knowledgeable.

BTDT

Honestly, I generally take the person aside and remind them we have "little ears" around.  Maybe this is an adult board and in that case, let all the cuss words rip.  It does make for a great conversation.

xbar - I can take it, but obviously SMO can not.  No reason to get defensive when I recommend asking the person they allegedly got the prescription drug from.  Please read my post about Tyson and you might understand my passion on this.

ejoe326

I don't understand jumping on smo.  From the looks of it the question was posted at 1:46 AM.  I don't know about your vets but mine wouldn't be real excited to answer a withdrawal question at that time of day.

I think it opened up a super important part of the equation.  The withdrawal is related to how it is administered and if it is on or off label use.

I put withdrawal schedules in CattleMax and on the dry erase calendar in the barn each time we use them.  I still have to look up some of them and I most definitely don't get them all spelled right everytime.  Thankfully the barn cats, mice, and cows don't seem to care.

Lucky_P

Utilizing the ELDU withdrawal calculator devised by FARAD, a single IM injection of flunixin in cattle increases the meat withdrawal from the 4 days established for (approved) IV injection to over 30 days.

ejoe mentioned 'off label use';  I suspect that most people - including many veterinarians - misunderstand and misstate the concept of Extra Label Drug Use. 
http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/FDAVeterinarianNewsletter/ucm100268.htm
https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/FAQs/Pages/ELDU-and-AMDUCA-FAQs.aspx#prohibited-drugs

Under federal regulations, the requirements and responsibilities for a veterinarian who provides prescription drugs to their clients for use in an Extra-Label are extensive and stringent.

Seeing the misuse and abuse of drugs/antimicrobials that I see posted here and on other cattle boards on a regular basis, there is no way I'd be providing prescription drugs to the vast majority of folks who populate these communities.
I'll hazard a guess that far too many of my professional colleagues either don't know or don't care that they're not following the letter of the law - and at some point,it could come back to bite them in an unpleasant manner.

RyanChandler

I think it's wild how some people, who would generally view the fed govt as corrupt and full of self-seeking individuals, regard the FDA as infallible angels.  What the FDA constitutes as misuse, is not necessarily what I constitute as misuse; nor is it necessarily what my vet would constitute as misuse either.  I would never do business w/ a vet who valued the 'letter of the law' over the survival of my highly valued animal.  I buy all of my medicine for my cattle, and some for me, online as there's no need to deal w/ all this--  I can read disclaimers and suggested use labels myself.  I don't need a legal pusher to read it to me or to offer me his suggestion in order for me to conclude the most efficient approach.  I realize you have an incentive to preserve the institution that requires your inclusion as the middleman--- but, with exception to the most invasive of procedures, it's unnecessary...and costly. 

Lucky_P

Yes, Ryan, I'm sure you can give a shot with the best of them, and that you're smart enough to read the label instructions.

I've been involved in veterinary medicine since before you were born.  I know and understand the pathophysiology of disease, modes of action and pharmacokinetics of the drugs, indications and contraindications, as well as undesirable interactions and outcomes...among other things.  Do you?

I left practice nearly 25 years ago; loved food animal practice, but don't miss any of it.
I'm not a fan of the FDA; they don't mandate me to be a middleman, and I'm not a 'legalized pusher', as I don't sell or prescribe (but I could if I were so inclined); I only provide services and information, with no direct charge to the consumer.

Whether or not you agree with FDA (or IRS, for that matter) regulations doesn't matter. They are the law, and a veterinarian can find themselves on the hook for the misuse of animal drugs by clients, if they don't adhere to the requirements as set out in AMDUCA.

Misuse, abuse, and unnecessary use of drugs/antibiotics, resulting in meat/milk residues gives everyone in food animal production a black eye.  I'd like to see less of that.