Barn Cam Upgrade needed

Help Support Steer Planet:

HF CHARS

We currently have cameras in our calving barn.  We are adding on to the barn and need to upgrade the system.  We currently have ag Cam.  Works good, but wondering if anybody else has a different system that they like.

drl

We have an ag cam system as well. We are looking at upgrading to network/ip cameras that run on ethernet/internet wires. We are looking at getting one camera that pans/tilts/zooms from the center of the barn versus having a camera in each corner. That way others could check from their house miles away and call me if there is something going on so I can get some shut eye once in while. www.networkcamerastore.com

chambero

We had an Axis PTZ camera installed back in August and love it.  It hooks up to my home computer via a wireless connection (about 1200 feet away) and I can access and control the camera from anywhere, including my iPhone via an app.

Cost us around $5,000 installed.

chambero

Ours rotates 360 degrees and we essentially watch an area of barns and lots about 10 acres in size. 

TPX

We are currently looking for a camera system for our barn.  Does anyone have recommendations and also does anyone know of distributors in Canada/Saskatchewan?  Thanks

WRS

We have the system the SN502-4CH-002 from this web site: http://www.defender-usa.com/product-list.php

It is actually a security system and has worked really well for us.  Most importantly, if you have high speed internet available (DSL), you can view it from anywhere, even your cell phone, if you want to set it up that way.  I don't know if it can be hard-wired directly to a house.  I think this cost us ~$600 for 4 cameras, dvr, wire plus the router for the internet access.  Works great.

One of the best purchases we ever made.  Internet access let's you watch from work and it's sure nice to peak at the lap top at 3 am versus going out in the cold.

redsimms

TPX said:
We are currently looking for a camera system for our barn.  Does anyone have recommendations and also does anyone know of distributors in Canada/Saskatchewan?  Thanks

We are from Sask as well, we bought a camera system last year from Allen Leigh Security & Communications out of Manitoba. www.allenleigh.ca  They were fantastic to deal with and very helpful. The cameras are great too (we installed a pan/tilt/zoom outside to watch close cows and a pan/tilt in calving barn). They shipped to us via bus to our nearest depot. Also a fellow from Saskatchewan is a dealer too, not sure what kind he sells.

The system has been so great. Definately worth the investment.

CAB

american honey said:
So they are camera's you put in your barn...so would they be used for security or just about anything?

They are all using the cameras to monitor any calving problems.

drl

Having calving cameras is very very nice while note exactly necessary. Here if you can set an alarm to wake up, look at a monitor for a few minutes and see nothing is happening, and then fall back asleep is much easier on a person than waking up, putting on outside clothes, stomping outside, getting cold, come back in, and then warm back up before you can fall asleep again.  It also is handy for those cows who do not lay down and push in front of humans will go about there business compared to being spooked and get up and stop pushing.