Barn ventilation

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hey everybody, I'm new to steer planet and I have a question about barn ventilation.  I have 4 show calves that are outgrowing their pen right now, so I'm fixing up one of our other barns.  The problem is that it is a very well insulated barn with an 8 ft ceiling .  I'm worried about the calves producing too much moisture in the air.  Any suggestions or comments on whether I should worry about the moisture or what I should do for the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Spencer10218

If you plan on keeping them in there all day an letting them out at night then You need to keep the pens very clean. The last thing you want is your cakes going blind from an ammonia problem. And if you are constantly working with them and blowing then out you should be alright but you can buy exhaust fans and systems the monitor moisture and carbon dioxide levels. I would look at greenhouse stores.

Tallcool1

In the winter time when we are working on our calves, we tie them in our cooler.

We will start one fan and leave the door open.  I want them somewhere where it is at least warm enough for us to tolerate the cold, but I don't want them to be any too warm. 

We all worry about them getting sick in the summer when the cooler is 45 and we turn them out at night where it is 90 degrees.

I also worry about it the other way.  I don't want them in 55 degrees during the day and 5 degrees at night.