bawling heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Timber1

I could really use some help with my sons heifer. At home she is as sweet and gentle as they come, except when we seperate her from the steer we also show. They are buddies. They came from the same farm and have always been together. They are the only animals we have. Whenwe seperate the two she gets really nervous and bawls alot, its not as bad as long as she can see him. When we take her to a show she is horrible. As soon as we take her from the tie out it is like trying to walk a deer! She constantly bawls and is VERY tense and ready to go and is tough for me control let alone my 10 year old son. What, if anything, can we do? We have shown themtwice and the second time was alittle better but not much.

frostback

Lots of people have this problem. What you have to do is get them used to being separated at home too. Different pens, other side of the barn, anything. We run into this in the summer when they all have to go into the barn. Well we only have one barn so they get used to each other. Might have to ask a friend to house them for a weekend or something so they get used to just seeing other bovines and being OK. Some do others have separation anxiety from a certain one. Good luck.

katie_k

im not sure what to tell you. i guess the more she gets used to being seperated from him the easier it will get