Becoming a Judge

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dozer45

How exactly do judges become judges? Did they just come out of judging club in school? Or is there a governing body you have to go through?

Coming from more of a horse background you have to go through a governing body and hold a card you can only get through passing tests. Never heard anything about the cattle world and was just wondering.

Mainevent

Cattle judges are usually from collegiate judging teams and coaches while some are high profile managers and people who are around cattle a lot. Some are chosen by the facilitators of the show as a friend who knows cattle and will volunteer their time for a small amount of money to judge. I judged for SKF on here for their show they put on that is how I got the job.

cowpoke

Many judges come from a respected cattle background.Colleage education and being on a judging team or working in extension are all factors but some of the best judges are people that raise great livestock have made and lost money in the industry and have personality and can see the cattle and explain what the difference is.Standing in front of as mirror giving canned reasons or fancy hat and tie don't count.I was told once to be a good auctioneer you put five marbles in your mouth and each day remove one and when you have lost all your marbles you are an auctioneer and some say the same about judges.Any time a contest is decided solely by an individual there will be people who are not happy  .I have seen judges attacked,cussed at and that is inexcusable as it is solely ones persons opinion.I have hired several judges and the pay isn't that great but the honor of being asked plus having time to do it are all factors.Some are also real showmen and like it or not it is strictly a show and has little to do with the real world of raising cattle to make a profit.Youth shows are about whats in front of the halter and can be a great learning tool if done correctly for the right reasons.Unfortunately money plays a big factor and traders and fitters are making a living doing what the exhibitor should be doing in some cases.I like kids that work and appreciate the journey toward their goal in life.