Beet pulp, benifets from wetting

Help Support Steer Planet:

bendutt

I am wanting to know what are the plus's of soaking and feeding wet beet pulp verses feeding it dry.  Currently I am feeding it dry and my steers love it that way.  Also, how much do you feed of it if I feed it wet verses dry.

Spencer10218

I always feed it wet, I was told it sticks to them better I never really notice to much a difference when he come off beet pulp other than the depth of his belly I have also heard rumors of it adding back not sure how true any of this is

cowboy_nyk

To me, the biggest advantage of beet pulp is adding fill at the show.  I feed it dry as long as they will eat it.  I give them just enough so they are used to eating it at home and they'll get extra when at the shows.  If they eat it dry and then you water them, the beet pulp expands adding depth and spring of rib. Beet pulp doesn't contain much in the way of nutrition so I try not to feed much at home.  it's just filler.

vc

We fed it dry for the same reason it expands after they drink, giving them a fuller look. We also use it when holding cattle, just add fat and protein to maintain a fresh look. Depending on the calf it might be 50/50 grain and beet pulp, on calves that needed to be slowed way down it was more like, hay and beet pulp for a few weeks along with the fat and protein supplements.
We have a mill that has a beet pulp mix called EZ-Fill, calves eat it dry, and seem to really like it.

EZ-FILL
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein (Min)8.0%
Crude fat (Min) 2.5%
Crude fiber(Max)16.4%
Ash(Max)5.1%
List of Ingredients
Beet Pulp Shreds, Recleaned oats (fancy), Soy hull pellets (Not more than 12.0%), Molasses.
Important: Must Be Thoroughly Mixed Into Feed Before Use. Consult Your Nutritionist For Feeding Instructions.

paj315

We feed it wet they seem to eat it better . Only time we feed it dry is if their stools get really loose it will help tighten them up . As far as how much we feed equal parts beet pulp to feed . Right now 2 scoops of feed 2 scoops beet pulp . If we are trying to hold one we will decrease feed and up the beet pulp . We've tried all the different products that are supposed to add depth and went back to beet pulp.