Best Angus bull to cross Sim with

Help Support Steer Planet:

tmcarto

I have some large and moderate framed cows that i was wanting to breed to angus to get a Sim/angus cross. I was wondering what people think the best bull out there to do this is. I was looking at THE ANSWER and notice he has some recent winners and I was very impressed by Silveiras Style 9303's looks and epds. Any thoughts on those bulls or any others? What about OLD SCHOOL?   

SEA

OCC Echelon full sib to OCC Emblazon and just as good at a fraction of the price.  Makes great half blood females.  Or many more of the OCC bulls on your larger framed cows.

Cattledog

I've seen some real nice Sim-angus calves out of the Answer.  I've seen a bunch of Style baby calves too.  They look really cool!  He kind of reminds me of a more extended version of Northern Improvement.  He also appears to be calving ease. He was a pretty big boy so if you have some really big framed cows The Answer may be your best bet.

trevorgreycattleco

schaff angus valley.com
for females....... Density
for steers............Net Worth

If you dont mind feeding em a little extra (creep feed) they are hard to beat.
I swear the modern day simmie may be more maternal than the modern day mainstream angus. Those schaff cattle flat grow and they are not bigger framed. Look at their catalog and the pics of their bulls are far from big framed bulls when you see people in the pics with them.
What are you hoping to achieve? You want replacements or just feedlot cattle? Or show cattle? Just curious.

jbw

I have had great luck with Morgans Direction.  I have not seen any Style calves, but, I really like the El Capitan calves that I have had. I would not say he downsizes though.  I have liked the Lookouts as well. Good luck

MFJ338

Check out EXAR Tryon he's a full brother to lutton. I ve had a couple of calves and they look good plan on using more. Other bulls I like is OCC Missing Link , GCC total recall, OCC Anchor.  :)

cpubarn

I like the BC Lookout crosses and really like The Answer/simi flushmates that sell 2-12 at Grass-Lunnings sale.  They sold one in Denver also.

Here is a link to their video of one of the lots...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQiwfeXVE3E

There are lots of good simangus crosses, just depends what your looking for.    I know have way too much semen for angus/simi or not enough cows.

Mark

firesweepranch

We bought a Lookout x GCF Cheyenne heifer and are not real impressed with her right now (she is just a year old). She is SMALL for her age, shows a great side profile but no width behind and a bit of a stinky attitude. Our April purebred is just as big as the January half blood. And the April purebred comes from one of our smallest cows. Hopefully she grows into herself. Now trying to figure out what to AI her to. Have some sexed Moving Forward and sexed Bettis I am thinking about...

SEA

trevorgreycattleco said:
schaff angus valley.com

I swear the modern day simmie may be more maternal than the modern day mainstream angus. Those schaff cattle flat grow and they are not bigger framed. Look at their catalog and the pics of their bulls are far from big framed bulls when you see people in the pics with them.
What are you hoping to achieve? You want replacements or just feedlot cattle? Or show cattle? Just curious.

I also agree with Trevor,

Plus, these are proven bulls.  Also, if you want females, you can purchase sexed semen from some of the SAV bulls, at a reasonalbe price from CRI Genex. 

I am trying a SAV Final Answer son raised by Conneally's by the name of Right Answer, he is a calving ease bull that I purchased some sexed semen on, from Genex, to breed to heifers this spring.  Saw some sons out of him advertised in the upcoming TC Ranch sale, and Conneally's have used him allot.  He is a proven calving ease Angus bull, but I'm not sure of daughters in production out of  Simmi cows.  He looks similar to SAV Final Answer but, with more muscle ahd thickness.

Cattledog

trevorgreycattleco said:
schaff angus valley.com

These are two good options but I really like Net Worth females.  Not sure why you only classify him for steers.  They are wet, good uddered, and easy keeping.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I DEFINITELY agree with cattledog , I want all the Net Worth females I can breed to for cows ,they got a lot of things the other Angus cattle don't have an have had no big calves like his EPD'S  INDICATE ....also had a friend market a bunch of steers an said the packers an feeders told him to get home an raise a bunch more of those kind ...We have a Networth son in our sale that is definitely a mest wagon an just has a 2.8 Birth EPD ...hE SURE WON'T ADD ANY FRAME ....

ALTSIMMY 79

Maybe try SAV Bismark ? I've seen quite a few half bloods out of him that looked pretty good . Or maybe BC Lookout , have 2 heifer calves on the ground now out of him and pb simmy cows , pretty early to tell but they sure are correct , wide , and seem to be growing like weeds ! Watched quite a few Lookout half bloods sell last fall and they all brought pretty good money .

Cattledog

Freddy said:
I DEFINITELY agree with cattledog , I want all the Net Worth females I can breed to for cows ,they got a lot of things the other Angus cattle don't have an have had no big calves like his EPD'S  INDICATE ....also had a friend market a bunch of steers an said the packers an feeders told him to get home an raise a bunch more of those kind ...We have a Networth son in our sale that is definitely a mest wagon an just has a 2.8 Birth EPD ...hE SURE WON'T ADD ANY FRAME ....

I've got a net worth daughter that I'm just waiting for to calve so I can picture her.  She looks like she's gonna have a beautiful udder and will look awesome slicked out!  When is your sale?  Do you have pics or videos of your net worth bull?

SEA

My only "negative" of using Net Worth on Simmi cows, is his front end.  If you are talking about show animals, Net Worth has only an average front end.  IMHO  He needs to be used on good fronted cows.  Many Simmental cattle need help cleaning up their fronts.  However, for power, depth of body, and performance with matermal traits, he is hard to beat.  If you need to clean up the front end on a stout cow I would go more with SAV Final Answer.  Great phenotype and front!  Just not the muscle or performance.

Cattledog

SEA said:
My only "negative" of using Net Worth on Simmi cows, is his front end.  If you are talking about show animals, Net Worth has only an average front end.  IMHO  He needs to be used on good fronted cows.  Many Simmental cattle need help cleaning up their fronts.  However, for power, depth of body, and performance with matermal traits, he is hard to beat.  If you need to clean up the front end on a stout cow I would go more with SAV Final Answer.  Great phenotype and front!  Just not the muscle or performance.

That all depends.  If you want a bull to make replacements you could get by with a little extra front.  They will likely be easier keeping and milk better.  That's just my experience with throatier females.  Maybe I'm wrong.  If you want a show animal lookout(like some have suggested above) would be pretty tempting to me.  BTW, Density throws way more front than Net Worth. 

SEA

Cattledog said:
SEA said:

That all depends.  If you want a bull to make replacements you could get by with a little extra front.  They will likely be easier keeping and milk better.  That's just my experience with throatier females.  Maybe I'm wrong.  If you want a show animal lookout(like some have suggested above) would be pretty tempting to me.  BTW, Density throws way more front than Net Worth. 

Ditto

trevorgreycattleco

I have no problem with net worth daughters. I was just throwing some bulls out there for him. I saw where their sale yesterday did pretty good . ;D 265,000 and 275,000 was the top two prices I read. Thats another planet for me. I ever sold a bull for that kinda money I would faint, wake up and be on my way to golf at Pebble Beach.