Best bull for my heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Justin69.o

I have an angus heifer that i am planning to breed. She is big boned, heavy muscled, and has long legs. she is supper long and is structurally sound except she toes out in the front and back a little. She also could use more width. Any suggestions???? :-\

FriedgesCharolais

If you are planning on keeping her pb i would suggest Pure Product had two pb calves out of him today and they both came out small and grow! had one cow have her calf in the morning and when out to tag her in the afternoon and couldnt catch her! And really like the look of the calves!

Justin69.o

Sorry i'm new to raising and showing cattle can you tell me how i  would register the calf maintainer?

Justin69.o

Here she is. She was born May 23, only had milk for 1 month mama died, and she hasn't had any grain since December.

Attachments

• 0420120648.jpg
    0420120648.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 0420120648 (1).jpg
    0420120648 (1).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 0420120649b.jpg
    0420120649b.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 0420120650.jpg
    0420120650.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 216
C

cornish

I think she needs depth of body.. and feed.

Not in a single picture does she look structurally correct.  She never holds her head up, or appears to send her hock back.  I'd question how she moved.

I would mate her to a PB Angus bull- not think twice about it, and find something else to breed to a club calf bull-- and not another virgin heifer. 

Justin69.o

ik she needs depth and we'll put her on some grain a month or so before our show. but the most of her problems i cant fix... thank you guys for the advice

C

cornish

club calf genetics are not used to 'fix' flaws-- whether they are structurally, or whatever.

Most get mated to those 'flawless' females-- who just need a shot of the X factor-- being bone, hair, and genetic defects. 

Justin69.o

ok  :( um does anyone have any suggestion of a clubby, angus, main, or shorthorn bull that would really help my heifer to produce decent county steers.

heilig

We re breeding our heifers to Gvc settler and tlm bouncer. Bouncer should give you a nice maintainer for county fairs.

C

cornish

Justin69.o said:
ok  :( um does anyone have any suggestion of a clubby, angus, main, or shorthorn bull that would really help my heifer to produce decent county steers.

Angus- Juneau, Northern Improvment, and any OCC or DUFF bull, they all do basically the same thing

jmb1498

Your 2 generations away IMO -

Breed maternal Angus sexed semen for heifers - You need body, structure, and look in order:
- Bismarck
- Lookout
- Brilliance

If you want to go maternal Xbred:
- Mo Better Simi (body bone and structure)

OH Breeder

Justin
Heifer and clubby bull does not go in the same sentence. We use some clubby genetics but never on a heifer. They are rarely structured to handle a calf from clubby genetics. First year you should be thinking what can I breed to to get a live calf. If you advert and catastrophes and have an unassisted or minimally assisted birth THEN you start leaning toward club genetics. Some cows year two aren't ready for them. I bred our Mossy Oak x Angus cow on her 4th calf to heat wave original. A cow that usually had 80#s unassisted had 100# heifer I had to pull. Analyze you females pedigree and look at her history for birthweight then breed accordingly. You don't have to use an angus bull there are several other calving ease bulls from different breeds. you want your female set up for her best productive life.

Justin69.o

I think shes really coming a long... She turns a year ld in 2 weeks. What are people thoughts now

Attachments

• heifer small.jpg
    heifer small.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 636

Shorthorns4us

Justin:

I agree 100% with OH Breeder here.  It is better to breed modestly for a good, live calf experience the first time with your heifer.  When she shows you what she can do in getting a calf on the ground, you can analyze her productivity, faults, strengths, and decide how to advance her next mating up to something more high powered or in the range of your ultimate calf goals. 
I would not afraid to make your first experience with her by using Angus, Red Angus, Shorthorn, Maine, etc.
I have used Lowlines in the past to give me that extra "comfort zone"-- I highly recommend them to get the first calf experience done and make it much easier.  The resulting calf will be a 1/2 blood and most of them are only slightly smaller that their full- size bred counterparts.  You may also find that some 4-H families want smaller calves for smaller kids to show...
so you could have a market for them, or show them yourself.
Emily