Best bull new or old to add color

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

CMesser14 said:
Muddy Creek Show Cattle said:
I got around to getting a pic of my Bodacious heifer....here she is. I'm pretty happy with her, she is about 3 weeks old.
Wow! Is she as stout in person as she looks in the pic? She looks like she is a wide little heifer
Yes she looks every bit as stout in person. I made the joke earlier to my brother about her huge hip, "I hate to see her go but I love to watch her leave".

CMesser14

CMesser14 said:
I got around to getting a pic of my Bodacious heifer....here she is. I'm pretty happy with her, she is about 3 weeks old.
Wow! Is she as stout in person as she looks in the pic? She looks like she is a wide little heifer
Yes she looks every bit as stout in person. I made the joke earlier to my brother about her huge hip, "I hate to see her go but I love to watch her leave".
Haha I so agree I'd love to see that calf in person! What's her dam?

Warrior10

CMesser14 said:
CMesser14 said:
http://www.acaregistry.org/detail.aspx?reg=321969

CMesser14

CMesser14 said:
CMesser14 said:
I'm not surprised she looks that good with those genetics on her side! Iam a little surprised she has a baldie though.

Warrior10

CMesser14 said:
CMesser14 said:
CMesser14 said:
I'm not surprised she looks that good with those genetics on her side! Iam a little surprised she has a baldie though.
I was too, but thats what makes me think Bodacious will put markings on most calves.

CMesser14

CMesser14 said:
CMesser14 said:
CMesser14 said:
I was too, but thats what makes me think Bodacious will put markings on most calves.
Yeah I think I'll have to test him out especially with my more moderate baldie females.

NEB

You might want to check out Man-O-Man2 at Accelerated Genetics. I think he would give you a little white and has some maternal genetics also.

CMesser14

DeBower Show Calves said:
Check out Answer To No One new for 2013 on our facebook page (DEBOWER SHOW CALVES). Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/DebowerShowCalves?ref=hl
He is full sib to Lautner's Walkie Talkie and is TH & PHA free. I think you will like him when you see him!
Like I said before I really like this bull! I would loves to hear anymore of the specifics on hims as well as semen price. What do you think his chance of throwing color is?

ATM OH

I would definitely say Hollywood.  Look at Pryor's past sales and the cattle they sell out of him always have tons of color and chrome.  Kind of irritates me he doesnt get used more just because he isnt heavily promoted by one of the top end names.  The calves we have from him are always at the top of our calf crops.

CAB

Question, when you say add color, do you mean black & white chrome or are you looking for the Char cream/smoke color?

leanbeef

It depends on what kind of "color" you want to guarantee...

A white Shorthorn should make a roan. A Charolais will make a smoke or a yellow. A Hereford will stamp the calf with a white face... The traditionally marked Simmental bulls would do the same thing, and if you can find a Simmie that's homozygous for white face markings, you can still get that done and likely add some more chrome on the legs, belly, or body. Any dominant color trait will show up on the calves if one parent is homozygous for that trait. Smokes out of a Charolais, though, is about as predictable as you can get after that. There's no way to predict the color pattern beyond "roan" or "baldy" 

Hilltop

This is a Non- Appendix purebred shorthorn. He is sireed by our bull  Matrix that Momma Hilltop and JIT purchased. He will throw just a little colour from time to time but usually only if the dam has some colour herself

Attachments

• DSC_0875Matrix-18U.jpg
    DSC_0875Matrix-18U.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 151

RyanChandler

Barry Farms said:
-XBAR- you can also get smokes by using a PB Char. bull

True. But using a Charolais will dilute the color of the cow not add color to her.  Charolais are homozygous red and also carry the diluter gene.