Best bull opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

FJLranch

What are the best bulls to use on purebred Santa Gertrudis cows to produce some top notch Star 5 heifers to show in TCCA. These bulls need to clean up the leather on their underline and really put some meat on them. Most that are showing right now are commercial type Hereford cross. I believe there are some club calf bulls out there that would really make some competitive Star 5  heifers for the show ring. Color doesn't matter. ( Star 5 cattle are purebred Santa Gertrudis X anything. )    Thanks for the advice in advance.

Larry
Flying J & L Ranch

afhm

Are you mainly wanting to use maternally oriented bulls or would you like to try for some steers as well?

FJLranch

I am mostly interested in the best quality show heifers I can get that I can register as Star 5.  I have some very nice Santa Gertrudis cattle now.

Larry

shortyjock89

Dr. Who, Gigolo Joe, Chill Factor, Hotmail.

Some Shorthorn bulls might be fun too...Double Vision would be pretty neat on a Gert.

FJLranch

We double register some calves now.
There is a lot of experience on this forum breeding club calves, something thats sort of new to me. I appreciate and value your opinions. We have bred some excellent quality Gert. heifers and some good quality Star 5's. I would like to see what some of the club calf bulls will do on the Gerts. for star 5 heifers.

Larry

okcc

Hannibal or any of his sons, Carney Man, Lutton, Full Flush or sons, and Jimmy the Greek might work also. I wouldn't use a PB shorthorn unless you are planing to show them as haired cattle. JMO
I think Carney Man and Lutton would do the best especially if you want cows later on.

shortyjock89

RB Eagle 148 or any of his sons are Shorthorns that sire excellent muscling, and I have some 148 semen that I would sell.

Mark H

Just in case Red mist isn't available SVY Pligram would work here.  He is a white power bull out of a no miss cow family.  No bull available on an American AI stud catalog has more power in any breed.  Check him and his dam out at: http://www.gerrardcattlecompany.com/

dimebag

Ammo has worked well on american cattle in texas , witch dr. can get it done as well .

afhm

Godfather, Ammo, Irish Whiskey, Carney Man, Hostage would work well.  Simmentals will work to help keep the American look.  You could probably use which ever bull strikes your fancy and get along just fine.

executive37

I'd say try WCC Gunsmoke. He was National Champion Chi bull in Louisville and was Grand Champion Chi in Fort Worth. You can look at his pictures on executiveranches.com.

Executive37

Mark H

If you like WCC Gunsmoke then you would like MXS Vermillion Pld 527R.  He is a stout bull that put muscle on his calves.  He is is a known easy calver and has the BW EPD to back that up.  Besides objective performance data and a full set of EPDs he will always put out buckskin calves on reds and smokes on blacks.  Consistency of color pattern is something Gunsmoke can't claim and will never be able to claim.