Best bulls for heifers???

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

qbcattle said:
how do the lowlines cross with these regular breeds, do they just downsize alittle or do they stay small?

Depends upon the bull & how big the bull is & how big the cow is, but if you use a bull like Doc Holliday on a frame 6-7 cow, it will only be a little bit.  Below is 48 inch tall 1/2 blood Lowline cow that is just under 1,400 lbs.  There is nothing "mini" about the heifer that I posted earlier or this cow.  The 1/2 bloods are shorter, but not as much as you would think & Doc Holliday is 3 inches taller than the sire of these 2 females.  Even though Lowlines make them shorter, they also typically make them wider & deeper.  Also, if you use a fullblood Lowline bull, you could register/show the calf as 1/2 Lowline.  

And FWIW, I've had 1/2 Lowline bull calves with 205 day adj weights over 600 lbs. out of 1st calf heifers... with no creep feed.  But, these heifers milk a little bit.

Attachments

• Cindyhalflowline.jpg
    Cindyhalflowline.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 181

shortyjock89

qbcattle said:
any concerns with jpj?

He can make them straight fronted in a hurry, and some have even less growth to them than 1/2 Lowlines. 

If it were me, I would use either Doc Holliday (Lowline), PB Kryptonite (Shorthorn), Major's Money Man (Maine), or Gigalo Joe (Maine).

MYT Farms

I go with Show Heifer here. ANGUS, ANGUS, and ANGUS. You want calving ease? Go with a proven breed with proven bulls. I don't really get trying to use a Maine, Chi, or whatever on a first calver. Now, I know that there are some good 'uns out there, but why not go with a proven bull from a operation where assistance free calving is put on the top of their trait selection list? I don't have any ties with him, but OCC Homer is the one. We had a first calf heifer that weighed barely 950 pounds. She popped out a little 70 pound heifer and the calf was up and sucking within an hour of the cow going into labor. The first calf heifer raised a very thick, easy doing calf, and she's bred back the same way. What's wrong with that??? PROFIT is what we're after here. Got a Brangus? Good  black, assistance free calf that'll still have some ear would be the product.

CJC

qbcattle said:
i have a handful of clubby crossbred heifers and then some american cross heifers...i dont really wanna use angus bulls
What type of Americans do you have?

qbcattle

the american cows that i have r brahman, brangus, and gert x maine....i only have one american bull calf on the ground this year, he is out of a brahman cow and the charolais bull lead on...and hes gonna be a STUD

qbcattle

yeah, im planning on using some of those bulls but most of my americans im goin to use exotic bulls on...i have selected cows that possess brahman charateristics (big ears, dulap, and long sheath)...thanks for the suggestions

aj

My brother used the Angus bull Homer one year. He calved 17 heifers on cornstalks...no pens...never pulled one. I used a Red Angus Lancer son and assisted 3 out of 17. On the first calf don't worry about raising a world beater. Especially on show heifers. I'd agree the angus deal seems to work.

TJ

CAB said:
  Very nice heifer TJ. Brent

Thanks Brent!  I'm going to keep trying to raise some more like her.  I really like the Lowline X Shorthorn cross so far.