Best for Lice?

Help Support Steer Planet:

lightnin4

I use Cylence for just lice and other external parasites.  Most of the pour on dewormers do a good job, but Cylence is cheaper for just treating lice.  I've used Permectrin CDS pour-on for lice on horses with good success.  Its labeled for cows too, I've just never used it on them.

gsoper

delice its cheap and can be found at TSC. Use it in the summer for fly control.  Also works good on bees and wasps.

wharrison

We use Cydectin every 30 days.  It seems to really do the trick.  I put on a little extra then what it calls for.  Works great IMO

texas111

If the lice is on your show project and you are worried about withdrawl time you can use dog shampoo.  Medicated flea and tick shampoo has perethrum in it and will kill the lice dead on the spot.  you usually need to let it soak for about ten to fifteen minutes.  We had a problem last year right before houston with lice.  we used the dog shampoo and its a good thing we did because we got 2nd place in the lightwieght chi class.  That requires drug testing, and we passed.  good luck to you happy lice killing.

farmermom

texas111 said:
If the lice is on your show project and you are worried about withdrawl time you can use dog shampoo.  Medicated flea and tick shampoo has perethrum in it and will kill the lice dead on the spot.  you usually need to let it soak for about ten to fifteen minutes.  We had a problem last year right before houston with lice.  we used the dog shampoo and its a good thing we did because we got 2nd place in the lightwieght chi class.  That requires drug testing, and we passed.  good luck to you happy lice killing.
Do you know which Dog shampoo you used.  We have a heifer with a little place where hair has come off.  It hasn't go any worse in the last few weeks, but wanted to use the shampoo just to be safe.

SouthWest

Remember there is a difference on sucking lice and biting lice.  Injectables will take care of sucking lice cause it gets in the blood which they suck and feed on.  Biting lice feeds off of flakes off the skin.  Most pour ons will take care of them.  Make sure you read the label and treat accordingly.

hamburgman

wharrison said:
We use Cydectin every 30 days.  It seems to really do the trick.  I put on a little extra then what it calls for.  Works great IMO

Wow, you using that every 30 days for lice?

lightnin4

farmermom said:
texas111 said:
Do you know which Dog shampoo you used.  We have a heifer with a little place where hair has come off.  It hasn't go any worse in the last few weeks, but wanted to use the shampoo just to be safe.
Most Flea & Tick shampoos will have Pyrethrins in them.  Look for this in the ingredients.  Be sure and wash the whole calf in it and not just the area where it lost the hair. 

kattleluver

hamburgman said:
wharrison said:

Wow, you using that every 30 days for lice?

I agree that has to get expensive... And Cydectin burnt a heifer of mine last time :( I don't know if I'll use it on her again! I had to follow up with injectable ivermec to get all the lice we had a few months back! Injectable worked GREAT but I'm sure cydectin started the process. I have heard to use coconut shampoo apparently lice HATE the smell... Good luck!

texas111

Any type of flea and tick shampoo that has pyrethrum in it.  Hertz etc.  Wash the entire animal and let it soak on the animals hair for ten to fifteen minutes.  I would wash it several times.  It should do the trick for you. 

SlickTxMaine

[/quote]
[/quote]

Adams, it's in  blue bottle works excellent!  Be sure to wash the entire calf, as previously suggested. 

texas111

hartz shampoo.  any brand will work as long as it has pyrethrum in it.  sorry about the spelling.