Best maternal bulls by breed

Help Support Steer Planet:

flacowman

What art y'all's thoughts on the best maternal bulls available right now?  Please state the breed before the bull since some on here are not aquainted with common cow family names and such.  Let's make this something informative and interesting for the newbies and no controversy please  <cowboy>

flacowman

I mean bulls that sire structurally correct, fairly easy keeping, good tempered and good milking daughters.

Some that come to mind for me are
Maine -Chill Factor
Angus-Saugahatchee
Charolais-Gridmaker
Clubby-Who made who

kfacres

flacowman said:
I mean bulls that sire structurally correct, fairly easy keeping, good tempered and good milking daughters.

Some that come to mind for me are
Maine -Chill Factor
Angus-Saugahatchee
Charolais-Gridmaker
Clubby-Who made who

So you are saying that Saugahatchee's don't get too big and too hard doing.. and the wmw's aren't straight? 

CANsteer

flacowman said:
What art y'all's thoughts on the best maternal bulls available right now?  Please state the breed before the bull since some on here are not aquainted with common cow family names and such.  Let's make this something informative and interesting for the newbies and no controversy please  <cowboy>

flacowman

I have a bunch of 12-1250 pound saug cows in my herd so for me no.  I weighed last fall so it isn't just me saying they are what I want them to be.

And on the WMW's I jave liked the few I've seen personally and they pop up a lot on the bottom side of champions so that was mostly going from heresay

garybob

flacowman said:
I have a bunch of 12-1250 pound saug cows in my herd so for me no.  I weighed last fall so it isn't just me saying they are what I want them to be.

And on the WMW's I jave liked the few I've seen personally and they pop up a lot on the bottom side of champions so that was mostly going from heresay
I think the Florida sub-Tropical environment and your selection pressure for performance and fertility has kept your saugahatchee's moderate. In NW Arkansas, or SW Missouri and NE Oklahoma, they'd be 1400lbs or heavier, and a 2 frame scores taller.

GB

SEA

garybob said:
flacowman said:

I think the Florida sub-Tropical environment and your selection pressure for performance and fertility has kept your saugahatchee's moderate. In NW Arkansas, or SW Missouri and NE Oklahoma, they'd be 1400lbs or heavier, and a 2 frame scores taller.

GB

I guess that means that his selection process for maternal bulls to uses on his females, in his herd, and in his climate was correct. (thumbsup)  Is that not what we all need to do when making sire selections for our herd?  Select bulls that "niche" with our own cows.

I love this post!  Please let the sire suggestions go on!

AND REMEMBER..One mans trash, is another man's treasure!  And,...Different strokes, for different cows, oh I mean for different folks!  (lol)

AAOK

Maine-Anjou - FR Magic 179X  (I think now is the perfect time to tap these genetics.  With all the Too Small & Too Muscular cows around, Magic would be perfect to add some frame, femininity and milk)

Simmental - Meyer 734

Aussie

Angus - Leachman Right Time picture perfect udders. Also some of his sons and grandsons (Hyline Right Way 781 my favorate)
          - Sitz Alliance 6595 great materal qualities and temperment

SEA

AAOK said:
Maine-Anjou - FR Magic 179X  (I think now is the perfect time to tap these genetics.  With all the Too Small & Too Muscular cows around, Magic would be perfect to add some frame, femininity and milk)

Simmental - Meyer 734

Is FR Magic 179X semen available?  Where and at what price?  Thanks

aandtcattle

Angus- Blevins Raindance, Rito 6I6, Nichols Landmark L56, Nichols Supersystems, Nichols Black Ink, Oscar 711, CH Stacker, Westwind Rito, Schearbrook Shoshone and sons
Shorthorn- GFS Red Cloud 7026, Sutherland Titleist 269-441

These all left behind tremendous daughters for us.  Long lived calf-raisers

AAOK

aandtcattle said:
Angus- Blevins Raindance, Rito 6I6, Nichols Landmark L56, Nichols Supersystems, Nichols Black Ink, Oscar 711, CH Stacker, Westwind Rito, Schearbrook Shoshone and sons

I did a quick search and found for sale at  http://kaisercattle.com/forsale.htm
The last I heard, Top Sires had Magic.  I have 3-4 straws, but I want to sell my entire tank & contents.
Also, Tommy Johnson, Milburn, OK of Ferris Ranch has Magic semen.  Don't know price.

SEA

AAOK said:
aandtcattle said:

I did a quick search and found for sale at   http://kaisercattle.com/forsale.htm
The last I heard, Top Sires had Magic.  I have 3-4 straws, but I want to sell my entire tank & contents.
Also, Tommy Johnson, Milburn, OK of Ferris Ranch has Magic semen.  Don't know price.

Thank you AAOK.  I'll check into it.