Best Meyer 734 Son

Help Support Steer Planet:

MOCattle

Which son of Meyer734 is the best and that is going to carry on the legacy? Macho,Picasso,Maximus, 3D, to name a few out there. Thoughts?

Gators Rule

Probably Macho....but 734 has quite a few sons no one has ever heard of...  I kind of like 3C Sturdy, along with the names you mentioned...

SEA

This could be the makings of a great post.  <party>

THERE ARE SO MANY!!  Plus many of the sons are full brothers!

You need to at least split this question into two groups.  PB Simmental and percentage, or crossbred Simmental.

Lets get everyones list of Meyer 734 sons that they have used and them do a "Poll Question".

I have used...Meyer 734 himself, 3C Macho, Conclusion 437, Maximus, Theobald 969, and Backlash.

Seems to me, they all work best on small to moderte frame "Ground Sows", (Angus or Angus/cross cows), with plenty of muscle with maybe a shot of Maine in them.

POST ON!!

Jenny

have Rock Solid calves coming so hope he is the best!
He is 3/4 Simmi; his video is awesome!

Woody

There deffinatly has been a pile of them come and go.  I would have to say that Whiplash made the most impact for no harder than he was ever promoted.  Macho is also leaving his mark but my personal fav for right now is hands down King Meyer.  His calves are more consistant than the machos were for me with a lot better hair. I have a few Mamas Boys on the way also so we'll see which brother does better.  

AAOK

Gators Rule said:
Probably Macho....but 734 has quite a few sons no one has ever heard of...   I kind of like 3C Sturdy, along with the names you mentioned...

I bred and raised a 734 son we called Genesis, which turned out to be the single best Sire I ever used on my high % Maine-Anjou cows.  Our best cow's best calf was sired by Genesis.  The two best Bulls we ever raised and sold were sired by Genesis.  And, the highest  dollar amount I ever received in the sale of a Bull was when I sold Genesis.  It is so true that there are probably hundreds of Meyer 734 sons out there that are GREAT!  For this reason, instead of searching for the best son, I always recommend using Meyer 734, even at $500 - $700/straw.

BTW:  I have a frozen embryo which is a full sib to Genesis, as well as 7 straws of Meyer 734 in the Semen Tank I need to sell.  Lots of other good stuff in there as well.

SJ8965

I would put a vote in for Whiplash. With the small amount of semen ever sold on him his daughters have been prolific. Unfortunately he's dead and the semen that is for sale is $800+. The good news is there we have a full brother WRCC TOOL that has been a very consistent breeder and very similar to Whiplash. He is a flush brother to Backlash and both were raised in our ET herd, and we thought he was the better brother from day one. We also have two full sisters in our ET program. Check out our website www.whiteroostercattle.com

Show Steaks

Tool looked like a good bull in the show circuit, liked him better than backlash in the fact he didnt have curly hair seemed to have bigger bone and more body than backlash, though backlash seemed more angular in his hip and shoulder which can also be appreciated.

I'm surprised no son has ever surpassed him(even knowing he is maternal and it may take a few years to see who is able to fil the shoes) aby son super good ends up super pricey

CAB

SJ8965 said:
I would put a vote in for Whiplash. With the small amount of semen ever sold on him his daughters have been prolific. Unfortunately he's dead and the semen that is for sale is $800+. The good news is there we have a full brother WRCC TOOL that has been a very consistent breeder and very similar to Whiplash. He is a flush brother to Backlash and both were raised in our ET herd, and we thought he was the better brother from day one. We also have two full sisters in our ET program. Check out our website www.whiteroostercattle.com

Does Tool have the curly hair? I noticed that he was clipped short and made me curious about his hair quality.

SJ8965

Show Steaks said:
Tool looked like a good bull in the show circuit, liked him better than backlash in the fact he didnt have curly hair seemed to have bigger bone and more body than backlash, though backlash seemed more angular in his hip and shoulder which can also be appreciated.

I'm surprised no son has ever surpassed him(even knowing he is maternal and it may take a few years to see who is able to fil the shoes) aby son super good ends up super pricey

You read them pretty well. The differences between the two from day one was TOOL is bigger boned, bigger assed, more body and probably a frame score smaller. TOOL is straight haired and his calves have been good haired too. He's better through his neck than backlash too.

As far as a son we have used a double bred Whiplash son called Blazer we owned with Todd Hixon and LOVE the females, he is dead now unfortunately. We are getting our first calves out of a Blazer son that is out of Whiplash's dam we call SCHOOL'S OUT and are very impressed with the calves. Both these sires are at www.whiteroostercattle.com But we are still working on pictures of them.

SJ8965

CAB said:
SJ8965 said:

Does Tool have the curly hair? I noticed that he was clipped short and made me curious about his hair quality.

TOOL is straight haired. His calves have also been straight haired and the best haired calves out of any Meyer sons we have ever used.

Woody

Where would you rank Theobald 969 if he wasnt a PHAC?  I know hed be a lot higher on my list.

CAB

Woody said:
Where would you rank Theobald 969 if he wasnt a PHAC?   I know hed be a lot higher on my list.

Theobld was just catching his stride when the PHA test came into play & it shot him dead in the water. I think that he would have to rank right up towards the top end of the Meyer734 sons. We bred a couple to him last season & will again this year, cut bulls & test heifers.

Woody

I just had a Mammas boy bull calf out of a macho halfblood cow.  Hes young right now so its hard to tell what hes gunna be but he does look like my typical Meyers when they are born,  spindle legged and gangly then after about a month they grow out of it.  How close can you linebreed Meyer and still get good functional cattle?  Just currious.

SEA

Woody said:
Where would you rank Theobald 969 if he wasn't a PHAC?   I know he'd be a lot higher on my list.
I saw calves out of him and then used him, even flushed to him.  Impressed by all.  IMO  He is smaller framed, deeper ribbed, heavier muscled, and softer made than most Meyer 734 sons.  He is out of a Stinger cow, so he is bred quite a bit different that most Meyer's.  While much of the thickness and muscle expression comes from the Stinger on the dam's side, so does the PHA.

I agree with CAB.  He came out, just started to become popular when the whole PHA thing came out.  If he were a clean bull, I believe he would be heavily used right now as one of the top Meyer 734 sons.