Best put down a Judge has used

Help Support Steer Planet:

Aussie

While watching the Angus bull judging at Agribition (online :( ) the judge got to the bull at the end of the line and said
If I was to change anything about this bull it would be everything from the nose back
Pleased he was not mine.

chambero

At Houston during the calf scramble show (for kids that caught a calf and got money to buy one the year before), you see kids that never had any business showing a calf.  Either some dont have the money to feed one or were too lazy.  Last year during one of the Angus classes a kid brought one in that had been starved - but she was gentle.  She was last and you could literally see the judge struggle to think of something to say.  He came up with a good one- "this heifer really loved coming to the show at Houston and getting to try some great feed".

SSIMMENTALS

We have a heifer that is normally really well accepted, took her to a certain show and she "was not sound enough at all but was a decent PROJECT that MIGHT have a good calf if she was bred to a REALLY GOOD bull."  ::) This is an extremely sound, really complete female. Worst part, she was a single entry and thats how he talked her in class.

Gargan

at our state fair a couple brought some calves that would grade M2 or L2 at the stock yards. The couple had 2 calves in back to back classes (4 calves total). after the 2nd class of poor quality calves the judge quoted as the calves went out last and 2nd to last, " looks like this family has a bull that is very consistant".

hntwhitetail

Gargan said:
at our state fair a couple brought some calves that would grade M2 or L2 at the stock yards. The couple had 2 calves in back to back classes (4 calves total). after the 2nd class of poor quality calves the judge quoted as the calves went out last and 2nd to last, " looks like this family has a bull that is very consistant".

Now that is awesome! lol

thunderdownunder

Aussie said:
While watching the Angus bull judging at Agribition (online :( ) the judge got to the bull at the end of the line and said
If I was to change anything about this bull it would be everything from the nose back
Pleased he was not mine.

Ouch!

Diamond

" this heifer is the best structured, free moving of the class. She combines a great look and natural depth of body, kind of heifer that could be used in many herds, she just dosent have enough hair. "...mind you she was a pb simmental lol, ever seen a group of cattle ppl go "huh?"

nebraskadave

Had a judge at county fair one year put a super nice charolais steer on the bottom.  He talked about what a good calf he was "but unfortunately the industry doesn't have a use for an all white steer"

KSanburg

nebraskadave said:
Had a judge at county fair one year put a super nice charolais steer on the bottom.  He talked about what a good calf he was "but unfortunately the industry doesn't have a use for an all white steer"

This is the stupidity of some of the people that are found to judge county fairs, bet the consumer didn't care if he was white. yellow, brindle or pink and what does the industry have to say once it is in the box. Sorry I couldn't leave this one alone.

Dozer45

Mtnman said:
nebraskadave said:

OUCH! As a 4H leader and showman I would be outraged if one of my kids was told that.

This wasnt cattle it was back in my sheep showing days. I had a ewe that was not much of a show ewe more of a good commercial mama. The Judge placed her middle of the pack and called her "old fashion type" makes me laugh for some reason

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Some jackass county extension agent told my sister that her heifer didn't need to come to shows anymore, that she couldn't compete with the cattle there (kids from the county where he is an agent).  Something like 2 weeks later we were stalled next to his sorry Herefords at the Houston Jr. Show, we won Reserve Grand Shorthorn that day. It was pretty funny for me coming back with a Class Trophy, Division Trophy, Division Banner, Reserve Grand Banner, and the Gold Buckle the dude was def out of his element when he recognized me and the heifer. To this day everywhere i see the guy i just laugh, and keep on walking. What a douche, #WINNING, is it wrong that i get so much enjoyment out of knowing this guy will never be on my level? ;D

TXSimmy

Was at san antonio 2 years ago and the judge burried me and came on the microphone to talk reasons, he said " This heifer is to extreme to ever compete in the show ring now and on down the road". She went on to win her division at Houston, Junior Nationals, the next year won state fair and reserve national champion. ;)

nobody

Watched Wes Hudson judge the brangus jr show at Ft Worth a few years ago and when he talked his reasons on one class he said, "if I was killing cows I would start with this one." Ouch!!

jaimiediamond

One judge dropped my heifer down to second after having her standing first as a yearling.  During the reasons she stated that she didn't feel that the heifer would be fertile due to her thickness, and power.  At the time I was crushed but I will give this judge credit when I came out with the same heifer as a two year old  she mentioned to me how impressed she was with this females development, the performance of her calves (she had twins) and that her first impression couldn't have been more wrong. 

lightnin4

OLD WORLD SHORTIE said:
Some jackass county extension agent told my sister that her heifer didn't need to come to shows anymore, that she couldn't compete with the cattle there (kids from the county where he is an agent).  Something like 2 weeks later we were stalled next to his sorry Herefords at the Houston Jr. Show, we won Reserve Grand Shorthorn that day. It was pretty funny for me coming back with a Class Trophy, Division Trophy, Division Banner, Reserve Grand Banner, and the Gold Buckle the dude was def out of his element when he recognized me and the heifer. To this day everywhere i see the guy i just laugh, and keep on walking. What a douche, #WINNING, is it wrong that i get so much enjoyment out of knowing this guy will never be on my level? ;D
A similar thing happened to me when I was in high school.  One of our neighbors got into the sheep business and gave some of the local kids a few of their orphan lambs.  I got a set of twins that I raised on a bottle and two of my cousins each raised one.  We already showed steers in our 4-H show so, naturally, we wanted to show the lambs too.  At weigh-in the county extension agent jumped all over the people who gave us the lambs for "letting" us show them since orphan lambs could never compete. Turns out my lamb won reserve champion and one of my cousin's had a second in class. ;D

bruiser

Last summer the judge at our state fair open show berated my son because in his words" he didn't appreciate the tailhead and flank additions on his steer".  Mind you this is at the Illinois State fair open steer show. My boy had been waiting all summer to learn how to build up a tailhead and flank with horse hair. That fellow needs to learn the definition of open show . It didn't bother him at all when the big boy steers SH rolled in with tailheads like a shark fin.

wyatt

i went to a show and there was a kid with a little raggity steer and the judge told him the steer "didnt have enough to him to compete in a show" and then after he got done he walked up to the kid and told him he did a great job showing him :) i thought that was nice haha

and then in a class of 5 we had a stupid judge that said this ... " the last three hiefers in this class i place just on how big they are " 1.my calf was a fall heifer showing against 1 year olds 2. she was weaned early (i did not do this) and 3. the one above her hasnt seen an ounce of grain in 2 months! and i know cuz we had to pull her off pasture so that the kid we took had one to show!

outlawcattlecompany

nobody said:
Watched Wes Hudson judge the brangus jr show at Ft Worth a few years ago and when he talked his reasons on one class he said, "if I was killing cows I would start with this one." Ouch!!

He's quite witty and awesome.

bird_dog

Was at a County steer show in Texas a few years back and their was one calf that was by far better than anything else in the ring. Judge said that this calf was a sure enough show steer, he was the stoutest and soundest calf in the show but their was nothing else that compared to him so he placed him third. He said he needed his grand and reserve to be identical.

Let's just say things got pretty heated after that

cyclone38

From an educator perspective, I find it hard to respect a judge that openly slams kids and what they bring in the ring. I work with a lot of different kids and many of them have different goals. Some are just happy to go to the fair and not worried about how they place, but they gain just as much from the experience in getting the animals ready and learning through the process. It is a struggle enough to get kids involved these days because they are too busy with something else (maybe just lazy) or the costs associated with it. I have a nice maine/angus steer that a program supporter is practically willing to give away to one of my FFA members to show at the county fair and still haven't found any takers. It's a matter of perspective, and I can see the humor in the comments and would probably laugh myself in a personal setting but it should probably not be part of the reasons given in the ring. JMO.

Latest posts