Best, Safest Way To Terminate Pregnancy?

Help Support Steer Planet:

We sold our bull earlier in the year with the intention of no longer keeping a bull, and instead only AIing our cows. Because we had ran a bull for so many years, our calves have been spread out over a 5-6 month period each year.  So since we would like them all to calve around the same time again, we have been waiting for our last few cows to calve before breeding them all at the same time.

Today I look out and the neighbor's below average brahman cross bull is in our pasture after our best cow who produces our top selling calf each year. I can only assume be probably got the deed done since she always breeds back on her first heat after calving. We want registered calves since the majority of our calves are sold to local Ag Students to be shown throughout the year.

What is the best way to ensure this pregnancy does not stick? How soon can we/do we need to do something to terminate any chance of her staying pregnant?

Thanks

Jenny

wait 10 days after the cow is in heat then give her a shot of Lutelyse or Estrumate

that will knock off the CL and prevent the pregnancy from going on.

Is this something that needs to be done on day 10 exactly? I ask because we will have to get the vet to give the injection as we do not have a chute here at our house, so we would have to take her in on the weekend.

Also, the bull is back today after a different cow. Can I wait and do them both at the same time?

Sorry for so many questions. These are new neighbors who cannot keep their bull home, so we have never had this issue before.

DL

Need to give when there is a CL (corpus luteum) - so need to wait at least 10 days after breeding so you could do them both together on a non weekend- ask your vet if he/she recommends a second shot 14 or so days later

advocate

Tell them if he comes back youll shoot him that should stop it if not actually shoot him

kfacres

advocate said:
Tell them if he comes back youll shoot him that should stop it if not actually shoot him

I would load him up and sale barn him.. Tell that when they come looking for him that you haven't seen him since you let him out of the gate to free range.  Say that they didn't worry about him roaming all over the country side, so you just wanted to let him explore other herds..

Cull prices aren't too shabby right now... 

CAB

I guess my question is, do you know if it's the neighbor's fence or is it your fence that he is coming through? Once he's started the habit it will be hard to stop him. Your best bet is an electric wire run along the fence. I'm lucky, my neighbor has very good bulls so I like it when they come to visit my cows!! Both halves of our fences need to be replaced.

There is one fence that divides our two properties. I am not sure if there is a hole he is getting through or if he is just jumping the fence all together. The neighbor has told us he would replace the fence over two years ago if we bought the barbwire. We bought the supplies immediately, but two years later, he still has not fixed it. He claims it is too hard because the ground is so dry, he can't drive t posts. I am not physically able to fix it myself and my husband works long hours and knows nothing about fencing in general but I have told him if it was a hole he is coming through I would patch it, but he never pointed out where the bull was crossing over. I do not get home until almost dark this time of year during the week, so this weekend is the first chance I will get to check the fence myself since the bull has been showing up.

I just went out to water the cows (just got home from work) and sure enough he is out there again. After another cow. Bad thing is I am not 100% sure which cow he was after yesterday. Not sure if the one he is after tonight still, or it is a different one. I could not get a good enough look last time as it was getting dark when I got home. I THINK the one he is after tonight is the same one has yesterday.

Tonight is the 4th time in the last week and a half or so that he has been over here. First time he was over here with a cow that also belonged to the neighbor and he was breeding her.

I do not want to do anything illegal to stop his bull from coming over here (such as taking it up to the sale barn...that is probably considered cattle rustling in the state of Texas lol). And really hate to make trouble with the neighbor by shooting his bull or something like that...but this guy is pretty difficult to work with as he is a major know it all that in reality is pretty clueless when it comes to cattle. There is no convincing him his average Brangus bull is not a Champion show quality ANGUS bull...which he insists it is.

I feel like sending him the vet bill to have the cows aborted at this point. 

The Show

Possession is 9/10 of the law  ;D

I personally would have taken him to the sale barn the 3rd time. If you don't want to do that though I would just load him up and drive 20 or 30 miles and kick him out. When your neighbor comes asking just tell him you haven't seen him.

wrc

The Show said:
Possession is 9/10 of the law  ;D

I personally would have taken him to the sale barn the 3rd time. If you don't want to do that though I would just load him up and drive 20 or 30 miles and kick him out. When your neighbor comes asking just tell him you haven't seen him.
  If you pull a stunt like that you better pray that your best cow doesn't lay down by the fence to have a calf and then go thru the fence to get her calf.  I"m glad that you aren't my neighbor.  I don't want my neighbor's bull on my place but you know sometimes it just happens and when it does its not always a quick-n-easy fix.  I have a couple neighbors that I don't see eye to eye with but I do my best to try and maintain a good relationship with them any way.  In my opinion  its best to try and get along with your neighbors,  you never know when you might need thier help or when your bull might decide that his cows look pretty good.  Just something to think about.

The Show

Haha I'm not that bad of a neighbor I promise lol. I probably would've got pissed off and fixed the fence myself, but I'm surrounded by trees so I don't have to worry about neighbors too much

wrc

I thought you might just be joking, but you never know.  Theres water falling from the sky here right now.  Its been so long since this has happened I can't remember what its called.  Praise the Lord.  I hope y'all get some too. <beer>

rocknmranch

Had the same problem with a neighbors corriente (roping bull). The sob stuck his horns in the wire and twisted, tore up the whole fence. After a month of the bs, and owner denying it, we loaded the bil into a corral, told him to get him and move him to another pasture. The fees for abortion, lost feed (every day he was there), and every cow we missed and calved a brindle calf he was paying for. Animal control was more than willing to back us up.

Needless to say, the roping crap and his harem took a trip away from our purebred. Oo, and the owner pulled the "hes just as good as an sngus bull" too. Told him, $1000 pb heifer doesn't compare to his play cows.

So after a lot of run around and having someone come out and give us some estimates on having the fence replace (because the fence is absolute junk as it turns out, feather could knock it over) we started looking into the livestock laws for the state.

Turns out by law we are required to maintain a fence that keep HIS cattle off our property, not keep our cattle on ours. Apparently this state still has some free range laws or something that says owners of cattle do not even have to have them fenced in at all except from having access to a state highway. We are not only responsible for any damage to our property (including cows bred) done by his cattle, but would also be responsible for any damage done to his cattle while on our property. I think the state has this crap pretty backwards if you ask me. Guess we will either have to spend thousands to replace the fence or live with a bunch of brahman cross calves.

Lose lose situation for us.

kfacres

OtterCreekRanch said:
So after a lot of run around and having someone come out and give us some estimates on having the fence replace (because the fence is absolute junk as it turns out, feather could knock it over) we started looking into the livestock laws for the state.

Turns out by law we are required to maintain a fence that keep HIS cattle off our property, not keep our cattle on ours. Apparently this state still has some free range laws or something that says owners of cattle do not even have to have them fenced in at all except from having access to a state highway. We are not only responsible for any damage to our property (including cows bred) done by his cattle, but would also be responsible for any damage done to his cattle while on our property. I think the state has this crap pretty backwards if you ask me. Guess we will either have to spend thousands to replace the fence or live with a bunch of brahman cross calves.

Lose lose situation for us.

I saw an eletric fence once time at a bird farm, that was plugged directly into a 110 outlet.  Maybe on his side of the fence?