Best TH Free clubby bull?

Help Support Steer Planet:

texas111

I agree.  It is a huge chance to take breeding the dirtiest of dirty cattle.  deffinetly test em.  better safe then sorry.  If it was me i would sell them and start with some good clean cattle.  JMO

Young

texas111 said:
I agree.  It is a huge chance to take breeding the dirtiest of dirty cattle.  deffinetly test em.  better safe then sorry.  If it was me i would sell them and start with some good clean cattle.  JMO

They have had 9 calves between, them always bred to a different THF bull and not a problem yet.  If they were born on my place they would have been tested but these were implants from a package deal they are good solid cows just need alittle more power. 

texas111

No offense.  sounds like you have it figured out.  i posted what i would do.I find its easier to have clean cows and use a powerful dirty bull across the board.  that away you are not having to figure out which cow to breed to which bull and your offspring doesnt have the chance of being dirty.  its a gamble and im not rich so i wouldnt gamble like that.  i can not afford to loose several head. there are many a men who have lost thousands in this business heading down the road your on.  <beer> good luck to ya

Young

I would prefer that they were clean. I would never have a whole herd of THC.  They are the only dirty ones I have.  If they were clean it would make decisions like this easier but when they wean two of the heaviest and best looking calves every year its hard to take them to the sale barn as a killer cow.  I do understand what you are saying and appreciate your opinion.

texas111

I understand it would be awfully hard to send them to the sale barn, especially if they are throwing good calves for you.  best of luck to you!  Shoot for the stars and hope that you can land on the moon.

mark tenenbaum

Well-people used thousands of straws of alot of dirty bulls for years. If ya got a dirty cow-use a clean bull-THATS HOW YOU GET THE GREAT ONES THAT ARE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS. I had one or two THS-and I wouldnt sell them for love for money O0

kfacres

Young said:
I would prefer that they were clean. I would never have a whole herd of THC.  They are the only dirty ones I have.  If they were clean it would make decisions like this easier but when they wean two of the heaviest and best looking calves every year its hard to take them to the sale barn as a killer cow.  I do understand what you are saying and appreciate your opinion.
I thought you said, they were untested??? How do you know they are dirty, if they aren't tested!
texas111 said:
No offense.  sounds like you have it figured out.  i posted what i would do.I find its easier to have clean cows and use a powerful dirty bull across the board.  that away you are not having to figure out which cow to breed to which bull and your offspring doesnt have the chance of being dirty.  its a gamble and im not rich so i wouldnt gamble like that.  i can not afford to loose several head. there are many a men who have lost thousands in this business heading down the road your on.  <beer> good luck to ya
I agree with this statement
Young said:
The 4 calves I have had tested double clean.
Thought you said you had 9 calves?
Young said:
texas111 said:

They have had 9 calves between, them always bred to a different THF bull and not a problem yet.  If they were born on my place they would have been tested but these were implants from a package deal they are good solid cows just need alittle more power. 
Obvisously there hasn't been a problem yet, breeding to a TH free bull..  There will never be any physical signs of problems when THC cows are mated to THF bulls.. NEVER

With that pedigree, they are bred more clubby.. Are you wanting to stay this route? 

If you are wanting to stay purebred, try out Wildside on them...  He'll give some power, and from what I have seen, clicks great on DS bred cattle, at our place, and his owner's anyways!  Our Wildside son x Kool calf wasn't so bad, tons of bone, ace, plenty of rib, and a really cool front end...  Needs more depth though.  I wish our old bull was frozen, or still around... he'd a worked! 

Young

They aren't tested but I treat them as if they were dirty because of parentage. They had already had calved before I bought them. My farm joined the guy I got them from so I knew the cows well.

Young

I'm ordering the kits in the morning.  All this talk has got me wondering.

nds

I would agree with yellow jacket being one of the top TH free bulls out there right now.  I also saw a new bull that was out at Denver named Mojito.  He"s TH and PHA free and looks really really cool.  He's a Mr. Clean x simmy/maine cow.  As stout as any of em and great hair and bone.  Look him up this spring.

kfacres

I know this picture is at a funky angle for both.. but to give you an idea.. This is our KOOL Cow, and her Sept bull calf sired by Dr. Feelgood...a  son of Wildside... He's a nice calf.. she's a nice cow..  Cow is from an Improver 57 dtr.  Cow is also double clean! 

Attachments

• GEDC0415.JPG
    GEDC0415.JPG
    595.8 KB · Views: 238

kfacres

Here are two more pics of our KOOL Dtr.. The first, was right before she had her first calf, the second was last winter while she was dry since she calved early in the summer, and then we held her over to be with the fall calving cows instead, after her 2nd or 3rd calf.. I'd have to think on that one how old she is.. The last pic, is her dam as a wet 2 y.o.. 

Attachments

• R.JPG
    R.JPG
    482.1 KB · Views: 217
  • sweet.jpg
    sweet.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 206
  • rosemary.jpg
    rosemary.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 190

nwecattle

COOL CUTOMER    saw some really nice ones last fall that were out of shorthorn based cows!