Best time to cut

Help Support Steer Planet:

HAFarm

We have never cut many of our PB Angus bulls, the culls go straight to the sale barn.  We have noticed an ever increasing demand on our butchered meat and have begun to sell some locally.  This has brought us to thinking about when is the best time to cut the bulls.  We are a small operation about 45 cows so catching them at the best time is not an issue.  We have been cutting a few weeks after weaning when we get our AHIR info back from the association.  Is this the best time to steer?  Would earlier or later be better?  In regards to show steers when are they cut?  Does it really matter as long as you get them before they get too developed? 

LN

The earlier the better. I belive BQA recommends before they reach 200 lbs.

Jill

We wean at 4 months and cut them a week of 2 later, I think they grow better that way.

HAFarm

LN said:
The earlier the better. I belive BQA recommends before they reach 200 lbs.

Why is earlier better?  Does it have to do with the development of the vessels and tubes associated with the testicles?

showcattlegal

We do it before they hit 200 lbs. It's easier on them and you. They seem to bounce back faster the younger you do it. We tired doing it a couple of weeks after we wean but they took much longer to recover from all the stress.

yousesteers

some time when the flies are not bad spring or fall I have done it when they hit the ground and have waited until fall either one works seems like they grow faster as bulls. One thing I always do is cut them by the sign of the moon just seem to get along but I also wean by the sign of the moon

tadpole

We cut ours early too.  Most of the herd calves in march and april and we cut calves the end of may when we put the first group of cidr's in the cows.  We like to cut them at this time because it is so much easier on them when they are young and because it is alot cooler then. 

HAFarm

yousesteers said:
some time when the flies are not bad spring or fall I have done it when they hit the ground and have waited until fall either one works seems like they grow faster as bulls. One thing I always do is cut them by the sign of the moon just seem to get along but I also wean by the sign of the moon

I think this is what I was getting at, do they grow better as bulls?  If this is true then latter is better than earlier?  Sure the stress may have an effect but how much verses the amount of extra growth you get leaving them as bulls to 6 to 8 months old. 

Thanks for all the responses,

yousesteers

HAFarm said:
yousesteers said:

I think this is what I was getting at, do they grow better as bulls?  If this is true then latter is better than earlier?  Sure the stress may have an effect but how much verses the amount of extra growth you get leaving them as bulls to 6 to 8 months old. 

Thanks for all the responses,

I dont really know whether they actually grow faster seems like it but I dont know for sure I am done calving now and since fly season is still a month away we will probably cut the bulls in a couple of weeks if the moon is right before they go out on pasture. IF you band I would say do it when they are bigger I like to knife them all that away I know for sure that I got both of them I think it all goes on opinion no right or wrong answers