Better option on Angus cows?

Help Support Steer Planet:

bryan6807

both are good choices. I am hearing a lot of good reports on Uno Mas and Select Sires has sexed semen on him for a reasonable price ($50/straw)

AAOK

From what I have witnessed in the past 25 years, a better choice would be a High Percentage Maine-Anjou.

fullblood

maybe you haven't looked at fullblood maine's on angus cows . a lot of f1 cow made good club calf momma,s.

Sparty-On

Anybody else out there want to actually answer my initial question?  Have no interest in Maine bulls or producing club calves.  Any actual input on the 2 simmy bulls mentioned above would be appreciated.  Have sexed semen on each.

Till-Hill

Seen bunch of Fat Butt's on clubby type cows and I don't like that cross as much as I did 734 stuff. Fat Butt's on Angus maybe was better than on the clubby deal.

Have not seen any Uno Mas calves but talked to bunch guys that have and they are using him. I have so much Legacy in my cows allready I try to avoid it is only reason I haven't used him.

Good luck!

sizzler14

I clip a good many simmys for a family and they had some fat butt calves. The ones they had that were good were reallllll good. That was a handful, the others were average and got a shade "pipe gutted" or tubular. So I feel he is kind of hit and moss alittle too much for me unless your cows are ground sows. I dont know too much about Uno Mas though... Have you checked out Rubys Wide Open? I saw a few calves last fall that were pretty chubby and functional last year.

Sparty-On

DiamondCattleCo said:
I clip a good many simmys for a family and they had some fat butt calves. The ones they had that were good were reallllll good. That was a handful, the others were average and got a shade "pipe gutted" or tubular. So I feel he is kind of hit and moss alittle too much for me unless your cows are ground sows. I dont know too much about Uno Mas though... Have you checked out Rubys Wide Open? I saw a few calves last fall that were pretty chubby and functional last year.

Thanks for the input...with my small herd, I am willing to pay extra for sexed semen so I can get a few more females in production.  Doesn't look like Wide Open has sexed semen available.  If there are other suggestions, I am open, would just like it to be sexed heifer semen.  Thanks.

Till-Hill

My best Simmy heifer this year is a Club King x Angus. Sexed on him at Genex. Love Mo Better on angus cows, he should have sexed yet. Upgrade was available for awhile too if I remember right.....

firesweepranch

I agree with the Mo Better, really like those calves. His EPD's stink though, but his sexed semen at Genex is pretty affordable. His females are great producers in my experience.
You can never go wrong with Upgrade! And I will agree with Club King. We have two really nice club king females, and just sold a nice two year old that had a great udder and really nice Grandmaster calf on her side.