Big Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattledog

ELBEE said:
Definition of birthweight EPD: 1. A prehistoric means of measuring calving ease. 2. Enticement for fibbing. 3. De-evolution.

Definition of calving ease: 1. After breakfast, finding a calf nursing, followed by the thought. "Wow, that's a nice calf." 2. 83#. 3. See (Definition of birthweight EPD. Number 2).

I've become more in tune with this methodology!  I think that the angus breed(which I raise) is really putting itself in a rut with this calving ease push.  My personal preference on calf size is 80-85lbs.  The calves seem to have more vigor and get off their butt and get to growing faster than the little bitty calves.  The real small ones never seem to catch up and really exhibit the bad traits of the angus breed(narrow, frail). 

I've talk to clubby breeders on a regular basis and they say that they prefer the 90-100 pounders.  They say that if you get them much smaller they just don't have the grow.  I don't think asking a cow to have a 100 pounder is that big of deal.  They should be able to have that every time if you take out the abnormal presentation factor.

BTW, the biggest calf I have seen live was a 163 lb natural birth bullcalf.  He was such a pain to keep going that I almost wished that he would have died!  He suffered severely from big dumb bullcalf syndrome!

Downtown Pete

Biggest I have personally seen was a 155lb Heatwave bull out of a Witchdoctor calf.  Actually wound up with a high seller out of that deal.  I had him pegged as a cripple due to the size.  Had a 145 lb Heatwave out of of a huge Dictator cow born unassisted.  Never seen one that big that didn't need pulled or cut out.