Big Calves ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

angus showman

irh I would have to agree with show heifer It seems to me you are raising clubbies and when you do this you come to expect you are going to have dead calves, c sections and dead cows. A small live calf is better than a huge dead one. My family has raised a herd of 20-30 head of angus cattle and a couple x-breds for 30 years and I can count on one hand how many times we pulled calves you have to make sound breeding decisions and manage your cows. We don't even own pullers. If your cows had trouble this year calving and you breed them clubbie again probably be typing you some more advice this time next year. The clubbie industry has no reliable data to show if a bull is calving ease or not and when they introduce a new bull the books can say he is calving ease cause he may have a low bw but he's not been used or proven to see if he lives up to that. I know what I would do with the cows I was having trouble with if I were you breed them low bw angus and be done with it get some northern improvement semen and watch them be born unassited and out grow the clubbies you had to pull with huge bw oh forgot its pretty easy to out grow a dead one. I have breed my shock n awe cow to hannibal and unassited heifer calf but my cows are all in average condition. I have also used on first calf heifers SAV Bismarck calving ease angus bull he was mentioned in a poster earlier of having a big calf it must have been a fluke cause I have 3 on the ground now out of first calf heifer came nice one of the hottest calving ease bull in the breed now. You can do what you want with the advice. But when you bred to Doctor who or another clubbie bull and come on here with a sob story next year no one will have simpathy for you

irh

Oh my God I didn't say I was breeding my heifers to Dr. Who I said, my 3 and 4 year olds.  And as far as wanting a sob story I never asked for one did I?    I just asked the question if anyone else was having large calfs.  I can't not believe the insults people give to each other on here.  There are lower weights in the Maines also, so That is the way we'll be going.  I have had alot of luck with east-out also.  Witchdr. is a purebred Maine that is a proven bull and that is what we have decided to go with on my heifers.  And for last time I wasn't pullig dead calfs out of heifers, it was 3 and 4 years.  You know I have read other people's post on hear, they are having troubles also, but I wouldn't even think about coming down on them the way some people came back to me.  I think I'll just go to the barn now, at least the cows aren't as sassy, oh! maybe one ol girl out there is.

Hilltop

Show Heifer said:
forbes, glad it worked out for you with those large bw.  Keep that in mind when selecting a bull down road, Not only as heifers, but way after that. 

irh, I would suggest heatwave when he first came out (according to the books) he had a 90 pound birth weight. (Ok, it has gone up dramatically since but "according to the books")
Or maybe salute, when he was first on the scene (according to the books)  he was going to single handedly change the shorthorn and clubbie world (He did, he killed a lot of cows trying to calve)
We have less trouble with SALUTE than calving ease bulls, both out of purebred and clubby cows. Really curious about all these cows he killed. ??? ??? Were they out of purebred or cluby cows?  Ours come out smooth, and long!!

DTW

Got my second Rodman angus calf on the way and just felt the feet and it is going to be 90 to 100 lbs again.  Second Rodman on a second calver and had to pull both.  He is definetely not a calving ease bull on anything that has a  little birthweight in them.  Last time i use a new bull on second calvers.