Big steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

gates98

I have a friend who has a steer that is WAY!!  too big.  He needs to gain about 1 lb a day tell Aug.  He is on Purina finishing touch now with all of the grass hay he will eat.  What is the best thing to feed him and how much?

gates98

He will be showed ALOT to try to keep his weight down that way but the end is MO state fair.

rasor club calves

We are feeding one 8 quart bucket (1/3 beet pulp 2/3 show mix) full to a steer that is about 3 months to old for our fair. Got him weighed at a show last weekend and he is gained about 55 lbs a month. wich is wat i want. after about 1000 lbs there rate of gain should start to drop off. good luck.

chambero

Get off finisher and on Fitters Edge.  Add beet pulp to that to slow hom down more, assuming he is fat

Kwwfarms

I would put him on purina full control and cotton seed hulls. Beet pulp is an energy feed it can make him gain weight and get fatter.

Bradenh

Kwwfarms said:
I would put him on purina full control and cotton seed hulls. Beet pulp is an energy feed it can make him gain weight and get fatter.
i love cotton seed hulls and feed them to get cattle fat. beetpulp has been fed to cattle forever and it does not make them fat or gain weight. the 'energy' in it comes from that little bit if molasses it has to make cattle eat it because it is the equivelent to nothing

Jill

I'm not sure why you are feeding finishing touch, but it is way too early for that, I totally agree with getting off the finisher.  You need to be careful about cutting way back at this point because his comsuption will slow in the hot summer months unless you have him in a cooler, he will also loose weight if he is shown heavy throughout the spring.  I would limit him some now, but continue to let him grow and take it off later if needed. 

gates98

At the county weigh in lst sat. he was 1165 and the state fair is mid Aug. He is high standard I would guess right now.  Thanks for the help