Biggest regrets

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

What is your biggest regrets? Voting for someone or not voting? Not buying a bull or buying a bull. Wearing a seatbelt or not wearing a seatbelt. Not telling someone you love them before they die. Getting into abreed or not getting into a breed? Going to college or not going to college? Betting on the broncos or not betting on the broncos. Throwing semen away on a bull that latter became famous?Saying something you wish you could take back? You get the idea.

DLD

We can all look back and wish we'd done some things different, but I guess I've gotta believe that everything happens for a reason...

Garth said it best.

...And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'd've had to miss the dance ...

jbw

Had a chance to buy DJ Elisha, for $4700, and didn't go out to look at DJ Salute when I was told to!
Didn't take a steer to the state fair, sold him to Chuck Simons, he was reserve in OK.

oakbar

I've got two that I often think about:

In all the songs I performed over the years I never dedicated one to my father who gave me the true love of music.

WE never travelled to Norway with my folks when they were alive and now we've pretty well lost the primary link to our relatives there.

aj

I know a feedlot manager that told me this story. He was a young cowboy and was invited to a picnic in Oklahoma or somewhere. There was a young divorced women who was going to be there. They opted to hit the bars that night instead. Turns out the young divorced woman was Reba Mckintire. ::)

Dusty

The year that I was told by the judge of our county fair that if the hog we had at county fair would have been at state fair it probably would have won.

jlingle

In high school I said some terrible things about my ag teacher, who overheard it all.  I was young and stupid, and he didn't deserve the things I said.  I snapped on a guy one night, in front of my 5 year old son..... sure wish I could have that one back.  As a matter of fact, most of my regrets have to do with a short fuse, not having enough respect for those who deserve it, and a pathetic handle on my tongue.  I've said and done several things in anger, that were entirely inappropriate and ruined some good friendships.  It's strange, one of my best friends always tells me he wished he had my quit wit and ability to really "let somebody have it"....... I always tell him I wish I had his humility, gentle nature, respect for others, and patience.  

jlingle

Dusty said:
The year that I was told by the judge of our county fair that if the hog we had at county fair would have been at state fair it probably would have won.

Dusty, I watched a judge tell my best friend in high school nearly the same thing.  This fella judged our county show & wanted to know why he didn't bring a certain lamb to Tulsa.  My buddy told the judge he knew the lamb would've been outclassed.  The judge said no, he would've won it all.  My buddy said really?  He said yeah, I"m sure he would..... I judged Tulsa too. ::)

Cowboy

Back in 1989 , soon after going the self employed route in my ET career, I didn't listen to a very well versed cattleman that warned me about a pending new customer.

That customer was opting to bring me 40 imported SAler cows as well as 250 hfr recips. I needed the business and became deaf to the warning. How soon did I regret that??

10 months later, we had lost almost 250,000 dollars in recievables -- 80% of that was from that very same customer we were warned about.

After losing almost everything we had -- that was one lesson I learned and won't forget. Had I only listened to the more seasoned guy ?? I may have never came to Nebraska and therefore never met some of the finest people I know today.

It may not be a fair trade off financially so far -- but I am wealthy beyond means for the great people I have met since then. I think it is a good trade -- at least mentally !!

That was my biggest life's lesson in business ethics -- it was well learned. I hope I am a better person because of meeting those bad guys, that verdict is now up to all of you !! PLease be kind! hehehe

Terry
<cowboy>

yuppiecowboy

reading the replies i am confident I could guess the age, plus or minus 5 years, of every poster.

If not taking a lamb to a show or what not is your biggest regret you are either too young to have had to make any real decisions or lead an incredibly charmed life. I am guessing the former. Thats okay, you will remember those days fondly.

As for me, I must be old because if I listed every wrong turn, stupid move, or missed opportunity I would have a book.

Sinatra said it well "and of mistakes, Ive made a few, but I did it MY WAY

I dont know if I truly regret anything as I am the sum of my parts, good or bad, that make me the man I am today and I like who I am, where I am, and the people I love and those that love me.

box6rranch

I don't know if this classifies as a regret or not since there wasn't much I could have done about it at the time.
My mom died when I was 11 after battling breast cancer for 10 years. I wish I could remember more about her.
I know she's with me and she is my guardian angel. I have had too many times that I have called out to her and have gotten her aid in one way or another not to believe. I wish she was around to see my family. I wish I would have respected my father's advice more when he was alive. He was a great man and I guess it took living without him to realize it.

cowz

justamom said:
Today it would be not meeting RED (cathy) in person

I regret that when I did see Cathy in person that I only hugged her once!  And that I did not kidnap her and take her downtown for a steak!

Sometimes, we just get so busy with the little things that really do not matter, that we neglect taking advantage of the opportunities that do matter!

aj

I sold 20 units of DIVIDEND(shorthorn) semen for 50$ a unit. Found out later it was worth 500$ a unit. :-\

knabe

not buying a house in silicon valley when i had a 50% down and went to college thinking i wouldn't have enough money and ended up with the same amount when i got out due to jobs.

too many others to list.

aj

I regret culling some moderate framed heifer calves in the 80's and 90's because they didn't quite make the yearling index cut. They would have made great cows. Instead I kept back the hard charging growth females who had a yearling growth index of 110. 2 years later they washed out,didn't breed back under my enviroments condition and whatever. How many good deep ribbed moderate cattle got dumped under this scenario in the80's and 90's.jmo

OH Breeder

I know this may sound corny, but, I do not regret anything. I use to and til I almost met my maker. After I was given a second chance at life, this is the way I look at it. Coulda shoulda woulda ...you can't change it but learn from it. If you didn't learn from or perceived mistake then it is regret. But now you know. JMO

Jill

cowz said:
justamom said:
Today it would be not meeting RED (cathy) in person

I regret that when I did see Cathy in person that I only hugged her once!   And that I did not kidnap her and take her downtown for a steak!

Sometimes, we just get so busy with the little things that really do not matter, that we neglect taking advantage of the opportunities that do matter!

I agree, I don't have many regrets in life, but I had the privilege of meeting Cathy at Jr. Nationals and was just so busy didn't take much time just to visit, I wish I had the opportunity to go back and do that over!

SWMO

yuppiecowboy said:
Sinatra said it well "and of mistakes, Ive made a few, but I did it MY WAY

I dont know if I truly regret anything as I am the sum of my parts, good or bad, that make me the man I am today and I like who I am, where I am, and the people I love and those that love me.

Amen. 

There are not many "do overs" in life.  My house may not always be the best kept. But my kids are loved.