BIM BW

Help Support Steer Planet:

diioriocattle

Has anyone had any problems calving out BIM? I was contemplating on breeding him to a Titanium char X cow. She is a bit bold shouldered and nickel short necked I believe he will do the trick on her. This will be her second calf and I just have not heard a whole lot about BIM calving so I just want to see what opinions are on breeding him to a second calver. Also i do not know the BW on titanium so I do not know what her genetics are in terms of BW.

thanks

Buck

We have had several the last couple of years. We are in the south and calve in the Fall and that will make a little difference in birth weights. We have never had a problem. Never had one over 100 pounds. Most are in the 80 to 90 pound range. We have only bred him to mature cows in the past but bred him to some 2nd calvers this time based on our experience in the past. Hope this helps.

Buck

You didn't ask but, he will work on a variety of cow types but he is the best in my opinion at taking plainer made cows and making the offspring pretty and adding considerable extension in the front 1/3. The heifers we have had have all been tremendous. The steers as already stated have a killer look about them but (depending on the cow) some just don't have enough power and punch to really compete on that elite level down here. All of ours have been hairy and just a pleasure to look at. Occasionally, you will hear something about attitude. We have broken and sold 12 or so and I can't tell that there is any pattern beyond other bulls. The calves have been well received and this is the 3rd straight year we have bred to him. Hope this information helps.
I find that sometimes on here people do really ask for meaningful information and get little to no response. When I know there are people out there that could help them. Then other times someone introduces a BS topic that goes on and on. Go figure?

hntwhitetail

Depending on the size of the cow and how you maintain the cow, I wouldn't be afraid of using BIM on a second calver.  I had one lastnight out of a pb angus for her 3rd calf.  I will be using more of him.  Unassisted in the field, calf was up quick, bull calf, thick and has great hair that was mentioned before.