Black, but how?

Help Support Steer Planet:

hart

An old timer asked me a question the other day I could only guess at the answer to.

All these breeds use to be marked differently (simi, maine...).  How did they turn them black if theyre not angus?

JSchroeder

Open registries allowed the extension gene to be brought in.  With proper selection it only takes one Angus ancestor to make an animal black regardless of how far back in the pedigree it is.

garybob

Lots of black-continentals also, can trace their black coloration to all those  Holstein-Hereford crosses that were available in great numbers during the 70's and 80's. Dairymen often bred their cows to Hereford bulls and kept 2 or 3 crops of crossbred heifers to start their beef herds with, before quitting milking. This was common, not only here, in NW Arkansas, but the guys across the line in Southern Missouri did the same thing.

The black is not just from Angus. A bunch of it goes back to a Holstein-Hereford cross ....."the OTHER black-baldy"!

hart

"Open registries allowed the extension gene to be brought in.  With proper selection it only takes one Angus ancestor to make an animal black regardless of how far back in the pedigree it is."

I guessed more along this line. but a guess was all i had to go on.