Black hided myth assc.

Help Support Steer Planet:

Silver

aj said:
Silver....it is a myth. I gaurentee that a pen of Red Angus stters will out grade a pen of black purebred simentals. It is a fact. The black hided myth is just wrong. At least call a spade a spade. It is a fad. It is a trend. Most peoples understanding of history is limited from the day they were born. There are so many good re Salers,Limis,Simi's that shoved aside and the breeds need these cattle. Period. Let the people who raise red cattle go free. Throw down their shackles and let them go. Select cattle for their qualities and to heck with color. Someone with an IQ of 50 can pick colors. How many people know good cattle? That is the question.

I love how you won't even put apples to apples. red angus to black simmental?, how about red angus to black angus. Then you got something. Simmentals are just used to add frame and milk to angus cattle. Your generalizing about all black cattle too, because when your over 90% choice cattle with the offspring that you produce and feed why would you change anything? We aren't holding you down either, It's our amazing marketing scheme and our cattle that are holding us above you. All in all though a man can raise what he wants and do what he wants with his own herd, but I would think the common goal of them would be to make money. Its not like black cattle have had the upper hand from the start, we have slowly, but surely overcome the red fad. So the stage is set lets see what them red cattle can do because the moment they are making more money than the blacks I will sure be switching.

Cattledog

aj said:
I didn't say Black Angus myth....I posted black hided myth.

I bet a pen of purebred black simmentals will out grade a pen of old school yellow and white simmentals.

Cattledog

aj said:
Would a judge that was flat out color blind judge a show without being lynched?

Depends on what kind of show it was.  I've seen plenty of purebred shorthorn take supreme heifer.  I've been seeing alot of chromed up steers doing well also.  I think color is playing less of a role in the showring as it once did. 

trevorgreycattleco

Black angus today are at the peak or on the way down IMO. To much breeding numbers and slab sided cows has takin its toll. They still have a place but to talk like they are high and mighty is foolish silver. I would put red angus against black angus any day of the week and twice on Sunday. the trick is identifing the lines or select individuals that are above the rest. Any breed that has turned black to keep up I think will be sorry in the future. They have lost some of their identity already with me. Black angus have set the bar pretty high for the next breed that ascends to the throne. They are a model for the rest of us to learn and improve on in the future. Time will tell what breed will rise but I feel and hope the black hided myth is being proven wrong and we are in the midst of some change. Red or black don't matter to me personally, I am interested in breeding the ones that have earned their place.  <beer>

aj

I don't think you could put a pen of purebred black simmi's together. If you did and they were 50% Angus they probably could outgrade the ole red simmi's. But by god the old red simmi's made great cows. They were the only"exotic" breed that made good cows. The black simmi's I have been exposed to were terrible hard keepers, hard calvers, and flat bad cattle cattle. In my opinion the only good black simmi is one that is at least 50% angus. In my opinion the Black Angus own the industry. They are great cattle. The association has all kinds of data. It's the black exotics that I think are the joke. But there again if they are half angus and are maintainers or lim flex or whatever they have value as composites but the purebred exotic black cattle are sophmoric as I see them.jmo

Cattledog

aj said:
I don't think you could put a pen of purebred black simmi's together. If you did and they were 50% Angus they probably could outgrade the ole red simmi's. But by god the old red simmi's made great cows. They were the only"exotic" breed that made good cows. The black simmi's I have been exposed to were terrible hard keepers, hard calvers, and flat bad cattle cattle. In my opinion the only good black simmi is one that is at least 50% angus. In my opinion the Black Angus own the industry. They are great cattle. The association has all kinds of data. It's the black exotics that I think are the joke. But there again if they are half angus and are maintainers or lim flex or whatever they have value as composites but the purebred exotic black cattle are sophmoric as I see them.jmo

The way I look at it...it's like if I would have married a professional tennis player(female of course) I can guarantee you that our offspring would be better than my un-athletic self but probably not as good as dear old mom. 

sue

I have watched this post and frankly I cannot take it:
Granted this is directed tword Black hides and not just Black Angus but no matter how you look at it ONE thing comes to mind.  NOBODY GETS PAID UNLESS THERE IS A  BRED FEMALE THAT HAS A LIVE CALF. Basically to get into a pisses match about carcass is great ,but nobody wins without the basic function factor. Sorry but I feel black has keep the eye on the ball alot longer.

Yep, I'm a Shorthorn breeder just giving the bare facts of what has happened to the progression of Black. If you want to compete then pay attention to the same priorities of what has made Black grow.C annot say it's by default or luck but just a maternal breed ( black angus)that never lost focus of why they are here?  Nobody wants conception issues or dead calves....period

Silver

Somebody give me a breed of cattle that is as versatile and has the same marketability as the Black Angus then.

Cattledog

Silver said:
Somebody give me a breed of cattle that is as versatile and has the same marketability as the Black Angus then.

No arguments here. 

shortyjock89

Silver said:

Give any breed that many cattle, and see what they can do.

Silver

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Silver said:

Give any breed that many cattle, and see what they can do.

It didn't get to be like that overnight, there is a reason that there is that many. They just didn't fall out of the sky.

ustacould

Show Steaks said:
industry is changing and select cuts of meat are being sold at a higher price with less discounts.....even making them a premium for a month or 2 last year.
and when you get this little assoc formed and do your research you will see that black cattle finish and marble better than most other breeds

I would like to reply to the statement about the select drawing a premium over chioce and prime cuts for a long period of time in the summer of 2009. I was true and was takin by me as a true indicator of where the country as a whole was last summer. I have been on quite a few herd visits through the years and have never stumbled across a prime lion in anyones house that was not raised on the farm. But durring this past summer and continuing into this summer i have found a man that is connected enough to get ahold of them. These are the whole lions that normally get sent to the upper end resturants in Denver, Chicago, New York, Houston, Tulsa, places where people will pay for it and the chefs know what a quality cut of meat is. The fact that Wal-Mart was able to creat such a high demand for select graded meat was the main driving force behind the premiums for the low grades. This just went to show me, relating it back to the economy and the general attitude of the consuming public, that the average house wife still wanted to be serving whole cuts red meat, but was not ready to leave the house and spend a large amount of money and the general resturant trade was on a major slow down.

aj

What would happen if you mated a two humped camel to a one hump camel? Would it be homozygous humped?Which is the dominant....two humps or one?

GoWyo

You would either get 1.5 humps or 3 humps depending on how many humps happen with your diversely humped camels . . . assuming these camels will hump given their individual proclivities for camels of a different species.

Silver

Looks like somebody finally ran out of bad things to say about black cattle.  (lol) The camel thing is pretty funny though

aj

Silver.....You have black Angus cattle......then you have black counterfit cattle. Then you have the Durham Reds......the only all british breed composite(recognized) in the universe. GO DURHAM reds. <party> ;D