Black Limmis vs Maines?

Help Support Steer Planet:

kobo_ranch

Can someone explain to me the differences between the 2?  Structure etc?  I know alot of people here in TX run there Maines as Limmis and want to know how they determine the classifications.

chambero

Steers run as limos usually have a rounder muscle pattern.  In my opinion, limi classes at majors are harder to place in than the Maines

oakie

doubled muscle and the typical "tubey" appearance occurs in Limmo's. They do seem to have a better feed conversion and better structure than the maines though. It is just a personal preference, this is what I have seen, it is not true for everything. I think that with limmos if you breed to a pb bull x amount of times it can be classified as a pb, but don't take that assumption to the bank.

Bradenh

maines are the freaky fronted and bigger boned and topped normally. limmis are the smaller boned. more tubular and sounder in my opionion. maines and chis are the clubbys and limmis are just normal exotics. we like to run limi for that reason

sgetz007

There have not been double muscled limis for a very long time.  I would agree that they can be rounder and more fine boned.  Maines also bred much better hair.  Limis are very sound these days and have their advantages. They are thick, growthy, and known for calving ease.  As a whole limis are not very clean fronted, but more recently there are some very popular bulls that are changing that.

Maines are better for producing club calves in general.  Limis are great for breeding your heifers to and using as "clean-up" bulls because of their longevity.

Bradenh

but do you think the maine classed steers are better than the limi classed steers. . . if you arent fimiliar with the tx system understand that a maine is really the same as a chi, aob, and simmy and limmy. the only difference in being classed out of maine as opposed to being classed out of limmy is the bone usually. they dont usually class rugged framed calves as limi