Bloating

Help Support Steer Planet:

M-n-M Cattle Company

I need help. My sisters 4-H calf won't stop bloating, he can't even eat grain anymore. If he has the littlest amount of grain (like a handful) he bloats really bad. Were worried about him surviving until Sept. yet along making weight for our sale. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for your help.

showstud

Add Laundry soap to his feed!!!! It should work!!! If it get really bad drench it baby oil!

BCCC

showstud said:
Add Laundry soap to his feed!!!! It should work!!! If it get really bad drench it baby oil!
We feed dry tide laundry soap when we feed cooked corn, it works really well. Haven't done it in years(feed cooked corn) so forgot that it even worked

braunvieh

You might also try a sprinkle of baking soda  in the grain. We have used that in bulk on feeder calves when we started having bloat issues. Fixed the problem. There is a also a product called TheraBloat that your vet may carry. I don't know anything about it. Good luck.

cowman 52

Gas bloat or foam bloat?? 
  Tide about a tablespoon to the head works well on either-  thera bloat is good 
  6  years ago we  had a bull bloating-  nothing worked--  Vet said  ulcer--  treated him same as the race horses can't remember what with tho-- my old timers hits more often now-- took 6 weeks but cleared up can relay info if you need it

shortyjock89

We rely on  Baking Soda and Yeast to keep bloat away on our heifers.  A handful of each in their feed every day seems to work well, and if they bloat, we give them a 1/2 liter of Mineral Oil.

kanshow

Ditto what Olson FS said!  I'd also make sure he's on free choice long stem GRASS hay. 

Show Heifer

Take your steer off feed COMPLETELY for about 2 days. Give him some "gut bugs" either by probios, fastrack or other product. Then start feeding GRASS hay. If that doesn't work, the rumen is probably completely dead and all the "cures" will not solve the problem, they will just reduce the bloat.
If you are close to a vet school take the steer there and have them use their fistulated animal and get rumen juice from that animal to put into your animal. OR if you are close to a locker hold your steer off feed for 1-2 days, be RIGHT THERE when they slaughter a bovine, IMMEDIATELY cut into rumen and get the contents, then within a 10-15 minutes get that into your animal via stomach tube.

You can stop the bloat by using therabloat, soap, baking soda etc, but it will continue to bloat until you get the rumen functioning.

CAB

Agree with SH on this one. Until you can get the rumen "fixed", you will remain having troubles. JMO.  Brent