blocked teets

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

whats the best way to unblock a teet. she's got a big bag but the teets aren't very big and the calf obviously isn't getting much if anything at all.

cbcr

Check with your vet.

When we had dairy cows we had a tool similar to a needle, but was made for what you were talking about.  Sometimes it inserted into the teat to drain the milk from an infected quarter or for doing what you need to.

So I don't know if you have to get if from a vet or if a local farm supply store may have it.

Dyer Show cattle

First try and squeeze them out really good and try and get some milk started. Then here is what I use. Just bought them from the vet. Deff get the stainless steel long ones, they make short plastic ones and they dont work worth a crap. These also come in handy if your milking out a cow, just put them in and they will drain them with no work.

http://www.jorvet.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2/products_id/1528

kfacres

big bag, small teats.. no milk.. sounds like mastitis and she lost that 1/4...

Might want to check if her milk is watery, cloudy, or chunky...  , or if you can even get anything out..

if she kicks like the devil, and the udder is hot.. it's mastitis... 

pscc

When we have had that same problem, we use the teat cannulas (referenced by posters above) to drain the blocked teat(s).  After draining the teat we treat them with the ToDAY product as per label instructions.  We get it at the local feed store or through the vet.  The ToDAY product is for lactating cows.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e079b9-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

As long as mastitis hasn't set in to severe, we usually have good luck with this route.

Good luck.

Shady Lane

Also try massaging with warm water, seems to help soften the blockage, I've used the instruments described above. We always just called them "Milk Needles" and they do work, but you still have to be able to get the teat open and get them in without dammaging anything.

As allready sugested, get them open and inspect for mastitis, it is a likely culprit in this situation.

In these cases I usually treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic as well as infusing in the teat with a mastitis infusion for lactating cows.

I'd talk to your local vert because he will have the best advice as to what to treat with for the bactrerium in your area.

kfacres

Shady Lane said:
Also try massaging with warm water, seems to help soften the blockage, I've used the instruments described above. We always just called them "Milk Needles" and they do work, but you still have to be able to get the teat open and get them in without dammaging anything.

As allready sugested, get them open and inspect for mastitis, it is a likely culprit in this situation.

In these cases I usually treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic as well as infusing in the teat with a mastitis infusion for lactating cows.

I'd talk to your local vert because he will have the best advice as to what to treat with for the bactrerium in your area.

verts?? are those vets who raise Gerts???  J?K???    (lol)  Didn't know they had Gerts in canada! (thumbsup)

McTX

Just saw this and wanted to mention it could be udder edema, big bag, appears as alot of milk but not forthcoming, can develop into mastitis. If milk is discolored or blood clots as mentioned previously you have mastitis(use med for lactating Cows as previously recommended), if milk appears normal possible Udder edema. Both conditions make cow uncomfortable and at times reluctant to let calf nurse. We have used warm water gentle massage to encourage milk let down, sometimes Oxytocin(veterinarian monitored) is administered to assist also. Under the supervision of a veterinarian sometimes non-steroidal anti-inflammatory meds are needed, but remember everything that goes in the cow goes in the calf. And sometimes0, time is the answer, especially if a heifer is involved, she gradually becomes more comfortable in her role as a MOM. Last, not all cows produce adequate milk, especially heifers on first calf, but I've had then go on and give adequate milk on subsequent calves.
If calf not gaining weight(pending age) or listless consult with a veterinarian. Some of these issues/questions may already have been addressed, I just know the anxiety until we see that calf nursing and popping that tail back and forth.
Good Luck,
McTX

farmboy

Just an update. We put the calf in the barn and are tubing it now. As for the cow, she will probably hit the road this spring.