Blog: A Steak in Genomics

Help Support Steer Planet:

librarian

Another interesting idea is for breed associations to develop programs to sequence the entire DNA of important or popular sires (idea originated with Jerry Taylor). I call this genomic "surveillance." For example, members would pay an extra $1 every time they registered a calf. When a bull has 1,500 registered progeny, he has now earned $1,500 in fees, and the breed association has enough money to sequence his entire genome. This allows breed associations to discover and keep track of new DNA variants that are rising to high frequency in their population.

Can this test determine breed composition or "purity"?

HerefordGuy

librarian said:
Another interesting idea is for breed associations to develop programs to sequence the entire DNA of important or popular sires (idea originated with Jerry Taylor). I call this genomic "surveillance." For example, members would pay an extra $1 every time they registered a calf. When a bull has 1,500 registered progeny, he has now earned $1,500 in fees, and the breed association has enough money to sequence his entire genome. This allows breed associations to discover and keep track of new DNA variants that are rising to high frequency in their population.

One could argue there is no such thing as a pure breed. Genetic ancestry is too complicated.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1151026/jsp/knowhow/story_49583.jsp

librarian

HerefordGuy said:
librarian said:

One could argue there is no such thing as a pure breed. Genetic ancestry is too complicated.

True enough about absolute purity, but my question was about relative purity measured by percent breed compositions measured similar to the bovine DNA sequencing and genetic distance of one breed from another. Or something like that.
I'm no purist, just curious

HerefordGuy

librarian said:
HerefordGuy said:
librarian said:

True enough about absolute purity, but my question was about relative purity measured by percent breed compositions measured similar to the bovine DNA sequencing and genetic distance of one breed from another. Or something like that.
I'm no purist, just curious
The answer is yes. See my 2014 PLOS Genetics paper.

HerefordGuy

knabe

not sure i would have used the quote
One can not impede scientific progress.[/size]- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

the context of the quote has nothing to do with science, and in fact has disdain for science.

the guy spent millions on a road leading to the Jamkaran Mosque for the return of the 12th imam

science will eventually reveal it to be a waste of time and resources and subjugation.

HerefordGuy

knabe said:
not sure i would have used the quote
One can not impede scientific progress.[/size]- Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

the context of the quote has nothing to do with science, and in fact has disdain for science.

the guy spent millions on a road leading to the Jamkaran Mosque for the return of the 12th imam

science will eventually reveal it to be a waste of time and resources and subjugation.
Resnick used quote. Resonated on Twitter.

HerefordGuy

knabe said:
HerefordGuy said:
Resnick used quote. Resonated on Twitter.

You can do better.
While I didn't know context of quote (I do now), I wouldn't be surprised if Resnick knew context and used it on purpose. Part of his presentation was to show controversy of genomic technology.