Blue Roan Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Corriedalesrock

I was wondering what blue roan bulls do you guys think are just really good bulls? I might want to try one...  (lol)

RyanChandler

If your goal is to create blues, you're MUCH better off using a white shorthorn.  Not only will you get a more homogeneous product, but you will also increase the odds of getting blues out of the resulting mating.

Corriedalesrock

-XBAR- said:
If your goal is to create blues, you're MUCH better off using a white shorthorn.  Not only will you get a more homogeneous product, but you will also increase the odds of getting blues out of the resulting mating.
do you know of any good white shorthorn bulls then? My cow is black with a little bit of roanish kind of spots on her head... Thanks!

Gargan

There is a new d vision son out there that is also double clean. He will be collected next month. His name is get your shine on

RyanChandler

Corriedalesrock said:
-XBAR- said:
do you know of any good white shorthorn bulls then? My cow is black with a little bit of roanish kind of spots on her head... Thanks!

If she has roan on her - shes most likely heterozygous black.  If you use a blue roan bull on that cow - the resulting calf could be black, red, blue roan, or red roan.    If you use a white shorthorn bull, the calf will be either blue or red roan.  With the cow not being homozygous black, red roan is even more likely. 

My favorite white bull is White Jazz- pictured below

Attachments

• whitejazz.jpg
    whitejazz.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 478

frostback

Is she a blue roan herself, or just a brockle faced? Do you know her pedigree? If she has roaning on her head and a blue herself and you breed her to a white the calf may be white itself. What has she been bred to before and what colour calves has she had?

sizzler14

I like the looks of this bull. cant find much  info on him about what hes like in person. Know he is double clean and came from ALM shorthorns

Attachments

• `Excel80-add.jpg
    `Excel80-add.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 235

RyanChandler

I posted a pic of that bull the other day after someone was asking bout his use on heifers. He looks very sharp in that pic but I definitely wouldn't use him on heifers.  As dark as he is I wouldn't count on a very prominent blue color.

Corriedalesrock

She just has some whiteish on her head.. I don't believe she has any roan in her pedigree, she has thrown red calves, red calves with white markings on the head,tail, and legs and then she has had black calves. I'm not a big fan on White Jazz but I really like the other bull!