Blue Roan Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

Personally, from my adventures... breeding the white shorthorn cow to the black bull, will result in far more blue roans than the other way around... It's just that 8 out of 10 times when someone tries for a blue.. they do it the opposite.  

No scientific research on my part, as genetically the odds should be equal... but in real life they are not...

now in regards to Bojo... I'm not sure what's in his genetic background off the top of my head...

but if you breed a white shorthorn cow, to a homozygous black bull...  you'll get 100% black calves, and 50% with the roan gene...

However, if you breed a bull that's hetro black... then you may not get black calves, and you'll still have the 50% chance of getting the roan gene.

Now, the roan gene works in funky ways...  One hair, may all that it shows... and so you may get a 99% solid black calf... that's still a black "roan"

Warrior10

That makes sense, didn't even think of the possibility of a blue roan when I bred her. Just kinda hit me that this calf might indeed be a blue roan.

rackranch

We bred Shorthorn X Rocky Balboa this year and got a solid black bull calf..And he throws colored calves...But like Mr. Negativity stated, homo black will be your best bet..

RidinHeifer

So I have a hereford x angus baldy. What can I do to increase chances of a blue roan? Any bulls that do good with that? Or any fun color for that fact...louder the better!

mark tenenbaum

The best chances of a blue ARE BREED TO A BLUE-rifgt now:rainmaker seems to produce more out of black cows-much less shorthorns than anyone-there is a totally empty slot for Jakes Blue Moon-on Cattle Visions Been that way for 6 months:-hes a blue-he should calve easily-but nobody wants to get off thier lazy ass and post a picture or a pedigree-guess its rocket science. O0

OH Breeder

mark tenenbaum said:
The best chances of a blue ARE BREED TO A BLUE-rifgt now:rainmaker seems to produce more out of black cows-much less shorthorns than anyone-there is a totally empty slot for Jakes Blue Moon-on Cattle Visions Been that way for 6 months:-hes a blue-he should calve easily-but nobody wants to get off thier lazy ass and post a picture or a pedigree-guess its rocket science. O0

Jake's Blue Moon 250W

Genetics

OCC Hunter 928H                                          OCC Focus 813F
              OCC Mitchel 831M                                           OCC Dixie Erica 960E
                                  OCC Erica Lassie
                                                                                                          839J OCC Emblazon 854E
                                                                                                          OCC Dixie Erica 928F

Jake's Proud Leader 243H                    TPS Coronet Leader 21st
             Jordon's Maria 262M                                      Poly Rose 6113

Poly CJ Cumberland 5113                     JG Cactus Jack
                                                                                                            Poly D Cumberland 725

Here ya go Mark. Poly CJ still producing over 14 yrs age.... pictured.

Attachments

• Jake's Blue Moon.jpg
    Jake's Blue Moon.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 3,745
  • Jakes Blue at Stud.jpg
    Jakes Blue at Stud.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 10,604
  • POLY CJ CUMBERLAND 5113 ET grand dam Unbelievabull.jpg
    POLY CJ CUMBERLAND 5113 ET grand dam Unbelievabull.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 906

HGC

Bojo is a red gene carrier, so you have a 50% chance of getting a red roan.

kfacres

several year ago, there was a WMW x Double Stuff cow, who was mated three ways- three years in a row.

1st year- DJ Ceaser son (black PB Maine)
2nd year, black Sim (pedigree forgotten)
3rd year, black Sim Angus bull (pedigree never knew)

Anyways, all three years she calved with a red roan heifer calf... so in every case, even though the sire was a black bull-- he was a red carrier.. and contributed that.. The mother, even though only 1/4 shorthorn, sent in the roaning gene...  3 years in a row...

OH Breeder

Cut the BS said:
several year ago, there was a WMW x Double Stuff cow, who was mated three ways- three years in a row.

1st year- DJ Ceaser son (black PB Maine)
2nd year, black Sim (pedigree forgotten)
3rd year, black Sim Angus bull (pedigree never knew)

Anyways, all three years she calved with a red roan heifer calf... so in every case, even though the sire was a black bull-- he was a red carrier.. and contributed that.. The mother, even though only 1/4 shorthorn, sent in the roaning gene...  3 years in a row...

WMW has little bit of everything in him even a little Hereford. He truly is a composite bull.

twistedhshowstock

You also have to remember that a solid white shorthorn doesnt necessarily carry the roan gene.  You dont get roan breeding black to white, raon is not a color it is a color pattern, so its a different gene that controls that versus actual color. Being solid white there is a possibility that she carries the gene for being roan patterned, solid patterned, or paint patterned.  So there really is no clue what your gonna get until the calf gets here.

twistedhshowstock

Then I think you probably have a pretty good chance at a roan, even being white it is possible for her to be homozygous for the roan gene, she just doesnt have any other color for it to be expressed with.

Does anyone know if Sin City carries the roan gene?

If you bred SC to a solid black comm cow (would be 75% plus Angus and I believe homozygous black)... assuming he carries the roan gene... should 50% of calves be blue roan?

Thanks.

Toughie

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe that there is such a thing as a "WHITE" shorthorn.  Any "WHITE" shorthorn that I have ever seen always has some red hairs in their ears or on their switch.  I believe that what we call a white shorthorn is really a very light roan.

lightnin4

Just curious...I have a roan Shorthorn heifer that I bred to an Angus bull.  What are the chances of a blue roan? 

twistedhshowstock

Well according to breed standards a shorthorn can be Red, White, or any combination of the two colors.  I have not dealt with a ton of shorthorns so I was sitting here racking my brain to know if I had ever dealt with a pure white one.  When I showed at Louisville back in '99 as part of the Louisiana Beef Awards delegation, one of the guys on the trip with a steer had a solid white shorthorn that was purebred.  He got mad cause everyone that didnt know better called him a char, I dont recall him having any red hair anywhere, but I do remember him having a red patch on the skin in his ear, the kid kept pointing it out to prove he wasnt a char.  I am not a shorthorn breeder and never have been, but with the genetic combinations out there I have to believe that a solid white without the roan gene is possible.  If its ever happened or not I couldnt tell you.
As far as the roan bred to the angus, you should definately either have black or blue.  The black in the Angus is dominant and if he is pure angus he is homozygous.  Your chances of roan depend if your cow is homozygous or heterozygous. If the cow is homozygous then your calf will definately carry the roan gene, if your cow is heterozygous then you have a 50% chance of carrying the gene.  However these color pattern genes dont always act in a true dominant/recessive relationship so it can be tricky trying to predict color patterns.