BMR Explorer

Help Support Steer Planet:

rileal

What do you think about the Explorer Simmental Bull.  Going to breed him to goldmine and dream on cows for show heifers.  going to use the sorted stuff

firesweepranch

The calves I have seen out of him have been at least average of not better. Of course, those were just calves in sales, so you would think they would be the better of most. Did you know he died? At the Eby sale, they announced he died, and sold some semen for higher than average amounts. Just an FYI. Might make his babies a bit more desired, since he was so young.

AdrienneHilbrands

We really like our Explorer calves.  Phenotypically he seems to do everything right.  Explorer himself was a pretty moderate sized bull and we've found that he tends to throw them that way as well.  For us we've had the best results by using him on some bigger, higher growth cows otherwise they've tended to run out of steam for us and can't quite keep up with their contemporaries.

CCW

May not have enough grow, especially if you plan to breed to goldmine females since that would be one of my knocks on that bull as well. Both bulls tend to throw fancy offspring that can do very good in the showring if they grow enough to not get out horsed. Also explorer is out of a dream on dam so you may not want to breed him to dream on females unless you're wanting to linebreed. Explorer will work on the bigger, higher growth, ugly (if you will) females. He'll moderate them and fancy them up, but slow the growth rate down. Great heifer bull also

LN

I discovered the hard way yesterday that Explorer carries the spotting gene. Talked to genex about it and they said they'd never had a reported case. They said they would dig around for me and found a case from 2010 that went unreported.

My calves by him are only a couple weeks old but look pretty good. Other than the painted up one that looks like a Holstein.

rileal

I would like to thank you that replied..  This is a good tool because I had to find out the hard way that Westfall crossfire would make a curly haired one.  but thanks for the info