Bodacious bull calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

Zach said:
last i checked big blocky shoulders aren't desired.

they are when they come in front of a big top, big ass, and huge bone... you see- can't have 3 of the 4 quarters=- without calling it a dollar.

It's nature- when you select for things- other things also come...

kfacres

Zach said:
alright Mr. Lamb guy, please educate me some more about club calves and how selection works

when you select for big bone--  all the bones get big- not just the foot bone, or cannon bone. 

When you select for thickness- all the animal gets thick-- not just the ass.

When you stack generation upon generation for both together- you don't expect calving ease. 

i'm sure their is a once a million chance- that you'll get the perfect animal- who's proportions are different- but I already stated those odds. 

And for the 47 millionth time- I guess if you consider a ratio of 40 sheep to 300 cows-- Mr. lamb guy-- then I guess you'd better go back to basic 3rd grade math. 

But hey, at the expense of losing what 1 cow out of 20? due to having a too big of calf---  why not make them work to produce what could be that next great one?  You yourself said it: he looks like a stud bull candidate-- why not propagate that bloodline so everyone can experience the same- big shoulders- big bone- and a big ass?

CANsteer

zach, would you be able to to a picture when he is the same age as the naughty pine steer so we can see how much they differ fro each other?

Doc

kfacres said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
Its early, but I'm pretty sure he's a bull prospect and looks like a good one.

Pretty well sums up why this trend began, will continue, and will never cease to exist...

Keep making them blocky is all I can say...  The harder a cow has to work- the harder the pull-- the better the calf. 

I think he was talking about his own calf, not Zachs'. I might be wrong.

farmboy

CANsteer said:
zach, would you be able to to a picture when he is the same age as the naughty pine steer so we can see how much they differ fro each other?

I'm sure I could.

Also Jody, are your thoughts really that convoluted. The way I see it, you look at genetics like its a one size fits all deal. Big bone = ALL BIG BONE. thats not how it works bud. You stated thats what is desired. You're wrong. The large shoulders aren't as common as you may think they are but you'll be damned if someone says otherwise. Am I right? If you're going to try to prove a point, at least avoid the use of that idiot logic in your last post against someone who is more educated on the matter than you think.

Also to everyone out there, this conversation has nothing to do with the Bo calf. This is merely a side discussion, carry on.

OH Breeder

kfacres said:
Zach said:
alright Mr. Lamb guy, please educate me some more about club calves and how selection works

when you select for big bone--  all the bones get big- not just the foot bone, or cannon bone. 

When you select for thickness- all the animal gets thick-- not just the ass.

When you stack generation upon generation for both together- you don't expect calving ease. 

i'm sure their is a once a million chance- that you'll get the perfect animal- who's proportions are different- but I already stated those odds. 

And for the 47 millionth time- I guess if you consider a ratio of 40 sheep to 300 cows-- Mr. lamb guy-- then I guess you'd better go back to basic 3rd grade math. 

But hey, at the expense of losing what 1 cow out of 20? due to having a too big of calf---  why not make them work to produce what could be that next great one?  You yourself said it: he looks like a stud bull candidate-- why not propagate that bloodline so everyone can experience the same- big shoulders- big bone- and a big ass?

Here's what I don't get.............

The livestock (show) industry is a tough one- if you cannot handle a few harsh words online--they only goal attainable -is failure.

But all you do is bitch about club calves? I think many of us said this before. If you don't like the genetics DON"T USE THEM. I don't think Zach asked to be schooled on genetics when he posted a picture of his newborn.

kfacres

Zach said:
CANsteer said:

I'm sure I could.

Also Jody, are your thoughts really that convoluted. The way I see it, you look at genetics like its a one size fits all deal. Big bone = ALL BIG BONE. thats not how it works bud. You stated thats what is desired. You're wrong. The large shoulders aren't as common as you may think they are but you'll be damned if someone says otherwise. Am I right? If you're going to try to prove a point, at least avoid the use of that idiot logic in your last post against someone who is more educated on the matter than you think.

Also to everyone out there, this conversation has nothing to do with the Bo calf. This is merely a side discussion, carry on.

You find me a picture of more than one animal that has monster bone-- NOT SHAG on the cannon-- that doesn't have big bones elsewhere, or some extra shoulder.  You FIND me a picture of more than one animal that is tremendously big hipped, big bodied, and big topped-- that doesn't have some extra shoulder.  and I'll say you win.

how do you figure that my post of: calling a big boned,, big asses, bit topped one-- that is not desired. 

farmboy

challenge accepted.

Have a look at the 4th picture i posted. I'll find some more examples when I get the time.

isn't that part of what's desired:  big blocky shouldlers- big fat head, and moster bone??

this is what I'm arguing with you about. don't change your words.

kfacres

kfacres said:
Zach said:
PDJ said:
Zach said:
131lbs doesn't scare me anymore. If i had to guess this one was around 100
??? ??? ??? Wow, we have big (too big?) shorthorn cows, and I would expect anything second calf on up to be able to handle a 100 pound calf.  BUT, 130+ pound calf still scares the hell out of me!

theres not that much difference in 30 lbs. ever held a 30lb dumbbell? Big ass blocky shoulders are the worst.

isn't that part of what's desired:  big blocky shouldlers- big fat head, and moster bone??
Zach said:
challenge accepted.

this is what I'm arguing with you about. don't change your words.

atleast get the whole quote, including the part I quoted originally... 

So are you saying that a big fat head is also correct? or did you just take the first part from that and only listen to it? 

In case you need a refresher- the feet and head are the first things to come out-- if they don't come out- that calf isn't coming out.  Sure big blocky shoulders will cease it up; but I've found  that once they make it that far-- they'll pretty well slide the rest of the way out-- might have to crank slightly to get past the shoulders-- but not really. 

To expand on the quote you seem to be infested with, and basically use the same words as I used on my last post:

Big ass- big top- big bone- big body-- comes with BIG (holy buckets) shoulders. (light bulb-- ON)  so yes- that actually is a perceived desirable trait.  The other thing about big shoulders- is that it leads to more heart girth and capacity.  Those little tight shouldered steer calves--- they don't win much do they? 

farmboy

Ha if you want to spin it that way, fine then. Piss off and be gone.

also does this qualify? you my have heard of this bull before. His name is Walks Alone
index.php

Looks like a win. now get out of my thread, attention whore.

kfacres

You didn't read what i asked- will go ahead and quote it below: I said give me 2 pictures- 1's a freak- 2's a possibility...

and that bull- has as much shoulder as he has ass-- he's got an awesome neck set-- but he's got just as much shoulder-

Ha, little pissy pants-- you breed all your cows to him and see how many 100# plus calves you get:  I bet you rethink that 'shoulder'.
kfacres said:
You find me a picture of more than one animal that has monster bone-- NOT SHAG on the cannon-- that doesn't have big bones elsewhere, or some extra shoulder.  You FIND me a picture of more than one animal that is tremendously big hipped, big bodied, and big topped-- that doesn't have some extra shoulder.

OH Breeder

kfacres said:
You didn't read what i asked- will go ahead and quote it below: I said give me 2 pictures- 1's a freak- 2's a possibility...

and that bull- has as much shoulder as he has ass-- he's got an awesome neck set-- but he's got just as much shoulder-

Ha, little pissy pants-- you breed all your cows to him and see how many 100# plus calves you get:  I bet you rethink that 'shoulder'.
kfacres said:
You find me a picture of more than one animal that has monster bone-- NOT SHAG on the cannon-- that doesn't have big bones elsewhere, or some extra shoulder.  You FIND me a picture of more than one animal that is tremendously big hipped, big bodied, and big topped-- that doesn't have some extra shoulder.

<deadhorse> ...........................let...............it.................go. OR START YOUR OWN THREAD.

farmboy

judging on how stupid you've already made yourself look on multiple occasions, give me one good reason I should take your advice on breeding. If I needed to use WA, i sure would. Ive gotten along just fine for years with clubby cattle. 15-20 calves a year and I haven't pulled one in 5 years. not everything we breed to throws 200lbrs that need c sections. Go ahead and typecast everything with hair as a cow killer.

I gave you your two pictures, now take your clubby hate mongering over to cattle today or somewhere they accept idiots like you. This site is for show cattle people looking for advice, sharing stories and pictures, bragging (in some cases  ;) ) and all around enjoying each others company. You can't seem to do any of the aforementioned  except be a total prick to everyone you disagree with and further yet contradict yourself on every occasion. I'll give you credit, you are consistent in your act but if you haven't noticed you're in the wrong show.

kfacres

Zach said:
I gave you your two pictures,

Too bad you only posted one picture...  

ETA: if you are refereing to that big shouldered, tiny footed, shallow calf in the grass above on page 1-- that doesn't count for anything.. His shoulder is wider than his ass.

Here's a picture you can use to prove me wrong- 2 actually...

Attachments

• 1181.jpg
    1181.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 4
  • feelgoodawesome.jpg
    feelgoodawesome.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 1181%20(PE%20x%2081).jpg
    1181%20(PE%20x%2081).jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 4

farmboy

kfacres said:
Zach said:

ETA: if you are refereing to that big shouldered, tiny footed, shallow calf in the grass above on page 1-- that doesn't count for anything.. His shoulder is wider than his ass.

Thanks for playing.

kfacres

Zach said:
kfacres said:
Zach said:

Thanks for playing.

I must need a new pair of glasses.. still only saw one picture.

farmboy

kfacres said:
Zach said:
kfacres said:
Zach said:

Thanks for playing.

I must need a new pair of glasses.. still only saw one picture.

You're are the first person I've ever had to call an idiot on Steerplanet. Congratulations.
Here is another picture for you as well.

jackass-award2.jpg

Latest posts