Body Clipping Animals

Help Support Steer Planet:

Freerider

How many people actually body clip the winter coat off of their animals? It seems like it would be a good idea to get that wooly/fuzzy hair off of them as quick as possible, but I'm wondering how long it would take to grow back.

I don't have a cooler, but i keep them in total darkness with lots of big fans going all day, and I turn them outside at night.

titan

i usually only do it if i have a simmy/angus calf , just because they dont have much hair and it usually takes them longer to shed it out.  That is the only time i ever do it.

ZNT

Freerider said:
How many people actually body clip the winter coat off of their animals? It seems like it would be a good idea to get that wooly/fuzzy hair off of them as quick as possible, but I'm wondering how long it would take to grow back.

I don't have a cooler, but i keep them in total darkness with lots of big fans going all day, and I turn them outside at night.

I completely believe in shearing my show heifers in the spring.  I am a little behind, but plan on shearing all of our show heifers for this fall and all our cows this week.  Right now, there is time to use clippers and shear there hair off, clipping with the direction of the hair.  As we get into late spring/early summer, I prefer to use the torch to take off the dead hair off the body, and use the flathead clippers to do the tail, neck, top, and head.  I never touch the hair below the stifle of the rear legs and shank on the front legs. I also leave most of the hair below a line from the flank and the attachment of the front leg, except for the brisket.

Videos and pictures on this topic are covered in the attached blogs.

http://www.zntcattle.com/search/label/Clipping%20and%20Grooming

farmermom

We started last year shearing off in late March.  We have shows in June and July.  Its hard to get it back, but its better than dealing with the dead stuff. Right now the Purebred Simm. have hair coming really good.  The simangus is coming a little slower.  Started rinsing everyday now so it will really help with having cool nights too.  I will never leave all that winter hair on all spring and summer again.  I'd rather have less than that dead crap.  Try it and I think you'll be suprised and wonder why you haven't been done it before. 

GFC#22

What we always do with our steers is first warm day with lots of sun is lock them outside for a couple days let them shed the dead hair and just brush and comb as much as possible to get out the dead hair and it has worked pretty good just my opinion

mainegirl

I'm so glad someone posted this. I have been wondering the same thing. Also I was wondering if body clipping your cows and heifers before setting them up to breed help with conception rates? I have some pretty hairy ones and our conception rate was not the best last summer. We assumed it was due to the heat. We're planning on using fans, changing our breeding dates, etc to try to keep them cool this year, but have been considering body clipping some of them. What experience has anyone had with this?

farmermom

We not done any comparisons on conception, but it has to help.  Some of these cows that are breed for hair just dont shead well.  It was to help.  We don't always clip the cows, but its just because we don't take the time.  We're too busy with the heifers.  I bet if you try clipping it will help.  Also try using Vitaferm Sure champ.  It keeps there body temp lower along with digestions, etc.

mainegirl

farmermom said:
We not done any comparisons on conception, but it has to help.  Some of these cows that are breed for hair just dont shead well.  It was to help.  We don't always clip the cows, but its just because we don't take the time.  We're too busy with the heifers.  I bet if you try clipping it will help.  Also try using Vitaferm Sure champ.  It keeps there body temp lower along with digestions, etc.
Thanks for the advice. Where do you get the Vitaferm?

KCK

If you don't have time to shear or are a bit skeptical, you can grill brick them. I spent a couple summers in Colorado with one of those dang things coming attached to my hand for hours on end. It is tedious, and my family always believed in shearing, but it does get that dead hair out and stimulate new growth. You just have to make sure you don't concentrate on one spot too much for fear of agitating the skin.

farmermom

mainegirl said:
farmermom said:
Thanks for the advice. Where do you get the Vitaferm?
We have a local guy that is a dealer here in Illinois.  Here is the website.  I think it has a dealer locator on it.
  http://www.biozymeinc.com/Species/Beef/ShowCattle.htm

Latest posts