Boys first projects

Help Support Steer Planet:

LostFarmer

My sons age 9 and 11 wanted to try a steer project this year for 4-H.  Our county doesn't sell for great premiums so the projects need to be modest.  First year so we are just getting our feet wet.  I grew up showing dairy and we have raised pigs but this was a first.  The first calf is  one that we purchased.  He is not really clubby bred.  He is out of a clean up bull by a Dream On son and an OCC Anchor cow.  Mother was a good simangus cow.  Nothing spectacular about his breeding and as a calf just a good solid feeder type calf that will compete at the county level.  The first pictures are in December and we were just getting calves broke to lead.  I have this old freestall barn that is working pretty good.  Each calf gets a stall to eat in now they are on a little different rations.  The second pictures are from this morning as we finished weighing them.  This calf is weighing 1310 and fair is in 46 days.  I think we will hit a little jackpot in two weeks just to help hold him and get him used to traveling.  The boys are working on hair but this is in an unfitted state. 

Attachments

• Harold.JPG
    Harold.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 272
  • Harold3.JPG
    Harold3.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_0311_4_1.jpg
    IMG_0311_4_1.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0314_2_1.jpg
    IMG_0314_2_1.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 397

LostFarmer

This second calf is one that we raised.  My older son was not sure he would be home to do a calf and then was so this guy stayed home off the truck.  His mother is a simangus cow and a big rangy ugly one at that.  Sire is a stout hereford bull with pretty good lower rear quarter for a hereford.  He is a May 25th calf so we knew we were fighting some age and growth to begin with.  My son named him Crybaby for the big tear drops and he is a good natured calf.  Great first project.  He has also been a good feeder.  Put his head in the feed and hardly comes up for air.  Again not at all clubby bred but a feeder calf that is being made do with.  Next year we will get a little more serious with a little better calves.  Calf weighed 1160 today at 13 months of age.  Wish he would have kept his winter shag we could have carved a calf.  Calves are rinsed and brushed but no cool room or anything fancy.  Feed wise both calves have been on Honor Show Chow cut with flaked corn, cracked barley (because we raised it and it was cheap), and oats.  This calf is eating 24 lbs of the concoction with a little calf manna for good measure.  Hopping to keep him pushed right to the end.  He needs a little more cover to finish. 

Please feel free to point out where we need to improve on the next go round.  The boys are having fun and have done most the work themselves.  It is a kids project around our place. 

Attachments

• Crybaby.JPG
    Crybaby.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_0320_2_1.jpg
    IMG_0320_2_1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0316_2_1.jpg
    IMG_0316_2_1.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 264

flacowman

Pretty nice county fair calves to "not be so special".  They look like they'll cut pretty well to with the angus and hereford genetics.. Good luck to your sons with them!

ROMAX

I would say nice calves for first timers,theres no sense spending big bucks right out the gate in case kids lose the interest in showing calves.Give them another year or two then you can  go buy the HEATWAVES!

LostFarmer

There really is no comparison between the 2 calves.  The black one is much better.  The baldy calf is going to be a fine piece of meat for someone but is by no means a show steer.  The black calf to my way of thinking should be competitive at most county fair type shows.  Not likely to win it going away but should be near the top of his class and have a chance at the final drive.  I would say the baldy calf should be in the middle half of this county fair.  He should be finished and that should get him to the middle of the pack.  He will be hard to show as he is easy to get over stretched.  His back wheels are a not near straight enough to be clubby.  ;D 

What would you all do different another year?

Silver

Good start, now that you have them hooked I hope you've got your check book wide open.  (lol)

Latest posts