Breaking a heifer with attitude

Help Support Steer Planet:

Steelbrook

I have a young heifer that is giving me fits when I try to lead her. She was the last of seven to be haltered this fall and she got very excited with the first pressure on the halter. I gave her time and space over the next two days and she clamed down quite nice and stayed clam while being tied and combed.

I moved her with another heifer into a pen of their own and she was fine. I was able to work with her and take her out for a couple decent walks with the other heifer together. The next time I took her out she did one lap and got very agitated. She would drop her head at my legs like she was going to charge into me then dance around. She continued this and would easily put her head into the side of my leg and act like she was going to grind into me. This has escalated into her just ramming her head in like she wants to take me to the ground. When I get her back into the barn she wants to slam me into the gates and even after I tie her very short and give her some space she doesn’t calm down very fast. This has been the way she has been for the last several weeks.

This was planned to be a heifer for my youngest daughter’s first year showing in 4-H. I have never had a calf act like this and I am at wits end. I would appreciate any advice that can help with my situation.

GoWyo

Does the halter loosen on its own under her chin when the pressure is off?  Some halters snug up on their nose and chin and don't loosen when the pressure lets off and some calves can be really sensitive to it.  Just a thought to start things off.

knabe

when the halter is on, and she lowers her head the slightest bit, you need to take her to the side so that her inside hind leg does NOT cross over in front of her other leg, but actually goes backwards. 

what they are doing is setting things up to drive with both hind legs. 

you need to stop them from doing that by giving them something else to do with their feet. 

when their rear foot goes backwards, they are disengaging.  pet them immediately. 

also, depending on how agile you are, you can do this the opposite direction while still staying on the left side, but it's easier to just do the same thing from the right side. 

another trick is to get them to like being scratched under the chin.  when they lower their head, they can't get scratched.  do this after they disengage and they will get so they present their chin to you.

#1 showman

i attended a clinic where halter breaking was a subject addressed and a proffessor from the college broke around 500 head a year. He showed us a method that i have used every year since and it has worked great with all of our calves we've had since. You start by loosely tying the calf up for an hour or two a day then you move to tying them tightly with their noses in the air for an hour or two. while they are tied you start rubbing them with your hands or a rubber curry comb. You start at the front shoulder and you work your way down to the hoof until you can grab a hold of it and you want to try to pick it up. if the calf ever reacts you just start over and slowly move your way back down. You want to do this to all the legs. After a couple days of doing this the calf should start to feel more comfortable with you. You should start taking it out and blowing it off putting it in the chute and it will become even more trusting of you. A big part of breaking is not only obeying the halter but trusting the people. And the calf must know that it cant get away with throwing fits. So after it is used to tying youll want to tie it tight with the nose in the air. You want to stick around and watch the first couple of times in case it falls. The biggest mistake people make is tying to round posts or beams and the calf can twist around and hang itself. If the calf tries to run in front of you or run into you lightly slap or flick it on the nose it will get the point across quickly that that will not be tolerated and if it locks up have a person stand to the side of the calf and either twist the tail or squeeze right below the tail head to get it to move while someone is pulling on the halter. Always remember to be patient they are just like little kids. Also sullivans carries two different breaking halters a big rope one and a metal one and they both work good.

Steelbrook

Thanks for the input. When we originally broke her we used the low stress techniques which seemed to work well at the beginning. I will start back at square one on this. I also really appreciate the explanation on the subtel body language and how to deal with it. These are the things that come with experience and I truly appreciate it.

Freerider

I've always found trying them with their head up together for a few hours everyday. The real bad ones I'll tie with their head up for 4 hours then tie them down so they can lie down until the next day and repeat.

Think about it, most animals really change after the 1st show (being tied up for the weekend). Its worth trying anyways

hevmando

If you have access, for the time, i vote donkey then the next techiques mentioned.  Make sure you either tie the halter so it is loose but can't come off or use a training halter with a loop.  The problem with the training halter is I have had them slip them off.

kidsandkows

I have a nylon rope slip halter and it binds up and does not release the pressure. Any suggestions for this? I still have it where she is dragging the lead so she steps on it and tightens it, then it is putting constant pressure. I am afraid if i take it off I won't be able to catch her. What are anybody else's methods for this?

Freerider

For heifers that can get out of the halter I always just use a neck tie or collar and tie it down. This really limits there rang of motion which in turn eliminates them from getting out, plus even if they do the collar still holds them there.

I have a heifer that is a pro, 10mins and she out every time but the neck tie has prevented this.