Breech Births

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jenny

I am horrified to read the account of pulling a calf with 2 pickups; having spent my whole life calving cows, I would say that this would be considered animal abuse.  Unnecessary and stupid.  Do not know about you but I calve out cows for a living and this is not cost-effective.  There are other alternatives. 

farmboy

or do nothing and watch the cow die and not even make an attempt? it happened and she still died. cows cry and thats a night i will never forget

OH Breeder

Dusty said:
zach said:
i dont recall ever dealing with a breech on our place but a few years ago we had a cow try to have a calf. front legs were out and we got the tongue out and it halted there. killed the cow and still had the chains on and we dragged her up on the hill by the chains that were on the calfs legs and it never budged. hip lock? hope we never get one of those again

Had a deal last December.  First calf heifer down in the stalk field trying to have a calf that was about 2 weeks early.  I'm starting to think that some of them are never destined to be cows and this was one of them.  There was just no room period.  Had to cut a lot just to get the straps on.  Used the pick up to help pull.  No dice.  The cow kept sliding on the snow.  We ended up haltering the cow and tying her to another truck.  Bad deal, both dead.  Like I said, I think some of them are just not destined to be cows.

Do you all not have a vet close? I guess I would have attempted C-section. But we can usually get a vet in a couple hours so to our farm. It is expensive but have saved alot of calves.

farmboy

OH Breeder said:
Dusty said:
zach said:
i dont recall ever dealing with a breech on our place but a few years ago we had a cow try to have a calf. front legs were out and we got the tongue out and it halted there. killed the cow and still had the chains on and we dragged her up on the hill by the chains that were on the calfs legs and it never budged. hip lock? hope we never get one of those again

Had a deal last December.  First calf heifer down in the stalk field trying to have a calf that was about 2 weeks early.  I'm starting to think that some of them are never destined to be cows and this was one of them.  There was just no room period.  Had to cut a lot just to get the straps on.  Used the pick up to help pull.  No dice.  The cow kept sliding on the snow.  We ended up haltering the cow and tying her to another truck.  Bad deal, both dead.  Like I said, I think some of them are just not destined to be cows.

Do you all not have a vet close? I guess I would have attempted C-section. But we can usually get a vet in a couple hours so to our farm. It is expensive but have saved alot of calves.

no we do not have a vet close. this was about 2 in the morning. snowy and icey

OH Breeder

zach said:
OH Breeder said:
Dusty said:
zach said:

no we do not have a vet close. this was about 2 in the morning. snowy and icey

Was Asking DUSTY with the pick up trucks. But I just paid 165 dollar trip charge to my vet because it was after 11pm. Small investment to save a calf.