Breeding Help PLEASE!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

wpenrod

I new to all of this and I just started a small herd within the last year. I have 1/2 angus and 1/2 limi heifer that is getting close to breeding age. I think I would like to try to get a smoke calf from her. She is a big framed heifer but needs her front end cleaned up and deffantly needs to add some width. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good char influenced clubby bull that would be good to use on a heifer that isnt too expensive. Thanks in advance to any advice, its very much appreciated!

Wesley

olsun

(welcome)Good to have you along. My first advice to you would be to never use a clubby bred bull on a heifer. Make that first one come easily,and be born alive. For a smokey, later on, I really admire the bull Houston. He has a lot of good qualities, and he isn't a pud, but never on a first calf heifer.Earl

Cattledog

I agree.  Go calving ease the first time around.  You could try somethin with Northern Improvement lines or you could try Jakes Proud Jazz. There are a bunch more options but the Jazz calves seem to be coming really light on here anyway and Northern Improvement is time tested and proven.

wpenrod

Even though she is a heifer she is going to be a big cow. Are there any char bulls that would work on her and still have a smaller calf and maybe add some hair

LN

I agree with the above posters. Even though you want that stellar calf asap, it really is better to play it safe with first calf heifers.

wpenrod

It doesnt have to be the worlds greatest calf, for some reason id just like to have a smoke, didnt know if it was possible out of a heifer or not

OH Breeder

There are calving ease Charlois bulls I am sure one of the breeders would help you out on here in directing them to you. I would use something with proven birthweight EPD's and even then you aren't guranteed a small one if the cow is big. Check with Charlois breeders and look at the catalogs or association for calving ease. If not, go with something you know will give you a live calf first go. Northern Improvement, Traveler T510, GIZMO, etc.

MYT Farms

Seen some dang light and easy calving Smokin' Joe calves. Talk about calving ease in one heck of a nice package. I think you could get a real nice calf with Smokin' Joe and keep the calf light. You'll prolly get a black, but that's better than a dead smokey. I personally don't know of too many easy calving Char bulls. Sure, not cow killers, but maybe not first calf heifer type bulls.

shortyjock89

I'd use Northern Improvement or John and Carrie (TMJ on here), have posted about a Ramblin Fever bull that is getting some attention. 

For what it's worth, Smokes aren't real popular around your part of the world. 

Mark H

Wpenrod,

The best calving ease charolais bull  with rock solid EPDs that is easy to get semen on is Baldridge Basttrack decent growth and confirmation given the calving ease.  Another bull with better thickness etc is Shelco Made Easy check him out at: http://www.stauffercharolais.com/.  Note his semen could be tough to get due to his being in Canada.

Mark

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Hey guys here comes the smoke, the idea that Six Mile had seemed like a good one, an if you pay the freight I'll give you the semen. Smokebomb  is a Friction that we have had no trouble calving at all, the mother of SmokeBomb has somewhere around -3. on calving , this will be the first year to use SmokeBomb  so no guarantees , just think he will work, an sure has the build  I think.        Someone mentioned Fastrack an I definitely agree an we have a son FREDS FAST COMPANY F69 that definitely works on heifers  , also his full flush mate that we call Maximo F600  HAS PASSED the test for calving ease , but have not collected him yet .  You guys that haven't seen calving ease Charolais bulls need to come out here in the Sandhills where  there are people that use them on there heifers  an creep them heifers calves an send  them right along with the cows Charolais x calves . I'm sure not saying all Charolais bulls can do this, an for sure stay away from the  Charolais show bulls , but there are real easy calving Charolais bulls just look at SmokeBombs mother's pedigree .  The Progress  bull we raised is one of those bulls not to use on heifers but sure will work on cows an put the extra pounds on them. There is a lot of good cattle out there in all breeds, but sometime you have to have patience an time to find them.  The lady that we bought our foundation cows from said they are ( the Silver cattle with the Golden Future ) about fifty years ago.  The one picture is of Smokebomb an the other picture is of a son of Unlimited Ease 9108 that is also the sire of the Fastrack bull , we call this bull Unlimited Power an is collected an prov-en calving ease on heifers.  Might get the Fast Company bull picture later .

Attachments

• IMG_3456 copy.jpg
    IMG_3456 copy.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 1849---UP.jpg
    1849---UP.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 130

TexasHeat

I have several Lim-Flexx females myself.  Have bred my heifers to Northern Improvement and Mytti In Focus.  I am more into getting PB Limmy's so I plan on using WLR Direct Hit, KRVN Pacesetter, and CFLX Wildcard on Mature Cows.  If I had to use a Char-Influence Clubby bull it would probably be Tinman, White Chocolate, or Copper Penny (new Chunky Monkey son).  If you have papers on your Lim-Flexx you may try using COLE Wulf Hunt, Wulf's Gaurdian, or Lodestar to get some 75% registered Limmy's.

wpenrod

I have papers on her lim mom but I dont on the angus bull, I didnt know if she would be worth spending the money to get registered, should i try to get that done?