Breeding ideas?????

Help Support Steer Planet:

OhShOwEr

Our cows are mainly angus based...what clubby bull works well on them.  They are more moderate framed deep and soggy that need fronts cleaned up and some bone.  Also have a Heat Seeker cow and A heatwave cows that put a little too much leg on their calves, other than that the calves are all good. any suggestions. 

bcosu

i like hannibal on the deep and moderate framed angus. he should add bone and eye appeal and shouldn't make any dinks either. might try who made who on the heatseeker and heatwave females if they are sound. he should downsize and that is a pretty good combination of genetics.

TMJ Show Cattle

Do you know the genetics of your cows? In other words are they mixed up commercial cows or are they registered? Most people will say cross this with this and breed this to that.You can do your breeding that way,and it may work sometimes. Don't ever let anyone tell you that genetics don't matter,because they do.Even most[not all],club calf breeders either have registered cows,or have no doubt how they are bred. I have seen Hannibal for example throw some kick-ass calves out of some bloodlines and complete dogs out of other bloodlines that were of equal quality,phenotypically. On straight bred good structured,good muscled,small to low moderate cows he works good as any.

OhShOwEr

yes the cows are registered and know there genetics...Many of their back ground inculde EXT and 878. 

shortyjock89

Naughty Pine, Monopoly on any bigger framed cows.  Hannibal ought to put a zipper front and frame one up a little bit.  Friction or Kadabra could make some nice females out of your more powerful cows. 

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Naughty Pine, Monopoly on any bigger framed cows.  Hannibal ought to put a zipper front and frame one up a little bit.  Friction or Kadabra could make some nice females out of your more powerful cows. 

I think that Naughty Pine & Monopoly are great ideas.  Hannibal is too on the right cows.  About the only way I'd use Kadabra is if was an extremely powerful cow & I mean extremely (deep flanked & stout lower quarter)... I think that I'd rather use Hannibal on something like that.   Friction would sire some nice calves, but dispositions might not be the best, of course, Naughty Pine has some Sugar Ray back in him, so he may not be so great in that dept. either. 

RE the Heatwave & Heetseeker's... I think that I would give Perfect Timing a try.  He doesn't make them very framey, but he makes them stout & pretty.  He usually sires hair too.   He's TH free, so if the cows are TH carriers, he should work.  Might give you some color too.  Otherwise WMW or Dr Who probably, but I think Perfect Timing might work well on something like you describe.