Breeding Problem

Help Support Steer Planet:

dcbehle

We started synchronizing our small herd Friday and we were not able to insert a CIDR in our top heifer. The vet was only able to insert the CIDR a third of the way in and asked if she was a twin/freemartin? The calf is not a twin, has been cared for daily at home since birth, and has been outstanding in every way until this. The vet hand checked her and said that her reproductive tract was abnormally short. Has anyone had similar experiences that they could share?

We did give her a shot of Cystorelin in hopes that she will still come in heat so that we can AI her in the next 10 days. We are also lining up a cleanup bull to service her.

The heifer is a BC Marathon/Vermilion Payweight, May yearling. We were somewhat concerned about breeding her at 12 months of age, but she is in great condition and weighs about 1050 lbs. While the CED/BW numbers from both bulls are not great, she does have good calving ease numbers. Her dam has consistently produced our best calves. We would love to keep this heifer in the herd as she is the most complete female that we've owned.

HAB

How much of the CIDR is outside of the vulva?  Some heifers are pretty short.  Have you ever seen her cycle on her own?

dcbehle

About 1/2 of the CIDR would remain out. (Not including blue plastic pull)
I have not witnessed a standing heat from her yet, but about a month ago I noticed a few in the pen excited around her. I'm not sure if it was her or my daughter's crossbred heifer that caused the excitement.