Breeding question

Help Support Steer Planet:

cebwtx

I am afraid that one of our cows has been bred back by her brother and was wandering the easiest way to abort the pregnancy without setting the cow back. If she is bred she would no more than a month along. She's a registered Hereford and we are wanting to breed her to another bull. So I guess my question is what is the safest way to have her abort if she's pregnant. And would this treatment effect her if she's not carrying? And how long before she could be bred back. Thanks for those of you with experience and your help.

CAB

Give a shot of prostaglandin of your choice. She should cycle within a 3 day period and if she were mine I would breed her on this cycle. When you think of how the cidrs work, this is kind of the same deal only instead of the cow being "tricked" into thinking that she is pregnant, in your case is was pregnant. The only troubles that you can run into in this kind of a deal is that if your cow is bred longer term, she may not settle back B4 she gets a chance to clean up if you will, but if she is 30 days bred take or give a few days either way, my opinion is that she'll breed just fine. If she's not bred and she comes into heat off of the PG shot it should be a fertile heat. Good luck. Brent

cebwtx

I know for a fact she can't be over a month because she has a two month old calf and the bull didn't get into the field with her at least five weeks after she calved. I know she was mounted just don't know if it took but I am taking her in the next couple of weeks for service from the bull originally planned. Just hoping our bull didn't mess up my plans. Thanks for the replies.

jbzdad

yep.. lutalyse will do it... she should come in heat with a fertile heat just fine... on another note... we have been giving lutalyse to heifers when we pull them from the bulls just to be sure not to have any calves at 15 months