Breeding question?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mainevent

Any ideas on what to breed this 2nd calf shorthorn cow? She is a Salute X Double Stuff. Her first calf was out of JSF Capiche and I was very impressed maybe she ended up a little straighter shouldered but other than that great calf. This go around I was thinking something along the lines of DF Talledega. Any Opinions good or bad. Not a very good picture I was out in the pasture and snapped a quick photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0703 4.JPG
    IMG_0703 4.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 203

Mainevent

Will he make them have little more leg? I have heard that and want sure. This cows plenty big in my opinion

kfacres

Mainevent said:
Will he make them have little more leg? I have heard that and want sure. This cows plenty big in my opinion

i've seen good AoD daughters-- but the sons aren't much to look at.. only seen one good son, and one good grandson.

his frame size has been pretty consistent with the cow, from what i've seen.. big cows make big offspring.

A.I.GUY

JSF Gauge 137W  from select sires or an exciting young bull Alta Cedar Real Steel 14Y from Power in the promiseland cattle co.

J

JTM

You need to be careful who you breed her to on the second calf too. I'm assuming that this was her first calf and you are breeding for the second? In that case I would recommend either CF Star bucks or MAV Bellringer. These are two bulls that I believe can sire a calf with decent birthweights and give you a nice quality animal for showing. I'm assuming that show cattle is your pick since this cow is a Salute x double stuff?

dsmith16

Have you thought about Jakes Proud Jazz? You said she is plenty big, and he downsizes a little. Also, our Jazz calves have the showy look with just enough grow in them. Its always an option on a Salute.

And I also think Bellringer could be a good choice, he has thrown some really nice calves at small birth weights!

kfacres

dsmith16 said:
Have you thought about Jakes Proud Jazz? You said she is plenty big, and he downsizes a little. Also, our Jazz calves have the showy look with just enough grow in them. Its always an option on a Salute.

And I also think Bellringer could be a good choice, he has thrown some really nice calves at small birth weights!

She bred with a son of JPJ- and doesn't like him as well as ideal...

dsmith16

outspoken said:
dsmith16 said:

The original post says that her calf out of Capiche was a great calf... And breeding to a son of jpj isnt the same as breeding to the real thing.

kfacres

dsmith16 said:
outspoken said:
dsmith16 said:

The original post says that her calf out of Capiche was a great calf... And breeding to a son of jpj isnt the same as breeding to the real thing.
you forgot to read the words straight shouldered-- which is most def the biggest flaw i saw in Capiche when he was in Denver-- and is the biggest flaw I see in JPJ cattle... 

Mainevent

Here is the Capiche calf, you tell me straight shouldered or not?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-06 at 9.30.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-06 at 9.30.41 PM.png
    307.8 KB · Views: 191

dsmith16

outspoken said:
dsmith16 said:
outspoken said:
dsmith16 said:

you forgot to read the words straight shouldered-- which is most def the biggest flaw i saw in Capiche when he was in Denver-- and is the biggest flaw I see in JPJ cattle... 

I never said jpj was perfect, I was just giving my opinion on what bull i thought he should breed her to. We never had a problem with our jpj calves being straight.

kfacres

Mainevent said:
Here is the Capiche calf, you tell me straight shouldered or not?

it's almost impossible to see that from this picture, and from this angle...  No comment from me.

BUT-- I can say that the head is pretty low--- and I've never NOT seen a straight shouldered one be able to hold it's head higher than it's backbone when walking.

Mainevent

Yeah she holds her head pretty low and when you try to jack it up it's a struggle. Sorry about the picture it's had to get a good one of her