breeding sugestions

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJB73

hey simmy breeders i need a little help i have a cow that i want to flush or breed and I'm having trouble finding the right bull to to do the trick she is a red label daughter asa # is 2441203 she has a ranch hand calf at side nice calf but short necked like most simmys has a little leather on her neck she is deep sided and fairly wide want to breed her to something with out dream on and would like to clean up her neck a bit thanks for all the help tjb73

TJB73

Cut the BS said:
rendition...hands down

i was going to say DO, but then I finished reading your post..
i like the idea woodys bull is a great one but he throws wild color. different cow had a red with white socks under belly was white and a white strip down the back so it makes me a little nervous

Simmgal

Grandmaster is a good outcross to Dream On. I have tried Trademark on some Dream On daughters and the calves are pretty good. Rendition is good for cleaning up necks I hear, but he does throw color. Cut Above has been said to clean some fronts, but my calf out of him isn't due until March.

TJB73

Cut the BS said:
ya, ya i know.. simms says the same thing...  sometimes though, you just gotta roll the dice...
very small herd so its hard to roll the dice sometimes  but a rendition heifer sold in the 2010 close to same breeding for $8000 and she was red wicth dose not bother me so i should take the chance

TJB73

Simmgal said:
Grandmaster is a good outcross to Dream On. I have tried Trademark on some Dream On daughters and the calves are pretty good. Rendition is good for cleaning up necks I hear, but he does throw color. Cut Above has been said to clean some fronts, but my calve out of him isn't due until March.
have you had any manafest claves what do you think of him

Simmgal

TJB73 said:
Simmgal said:
Grandmaster is a good outcross to Dream On. I have tried Trademark on some Dream On daughters and the calves are pretty good. Rendition is good for cleaning up necks I hear, but he does throw color. Cut Above has been said to clean some fronts, but my calve out of him isn't due until March.
have you had any manafest claves what do you think of him
I have not had any manifest calves, but I have heard that they are pretty stout. I don't know how he would be for cleaning up the fronts though.

TJB73

seems that hard to do for a purebred simmys i tried to buy some milestone heifer semen at denver thought i left a good bid but come up several hundred short could not belive that it brought 600 to 1000 a straw glad they got it cant say ive sold semen that high ever and wont

vcsf

If the cow were mine I would probably use Trademark.  However, if you are were willing to take the risk on the color, with H25 in her pedigree, I would be awful tempted to try going back and use Lucky Dice and hope for a heifer calf.  I think some of those Lucky Dice X H25 cows were pretty outstanding.  Personally I never got any spots with Lucky Dice even on some cows where it would not have surprised me but it is a definite risk.

TJB73

ok ill say it im dumb what do you mean by spots from lucky dice

TJB73

how about lucky break instead of lucky dice they are brothers i think and break is a non spotter any thoughts

leanbeef

We had a lot of luck with Lucky Dice in his day, but he's definitely a spot gene carrier. With a small herd and a cow that might throw some color, I would say this is probably NOT the one to "roll the dice" on. There are too many bulls that will do a decent job without the throw-aways...

I have some Renditions, and they're pretty nice. Again, I don't think it's worth the risk. I would say the same thing about most baldy bulls...if you're cow's history or her pedigree makes you think she might produce some off color, I would steer clear of that.

We've had a few Manifest calves, and they've done very well. He works best on smaller framed, deep bodied cows that need a little "umph" and he breeds like his numbers. The calves will grow, but I'd be skeptical about him putting a goosey front on one. I don't particularly like cattle like that, and none of ours look like that.

We've had good luck with the "Olie" bull, who we've used pretty sparingly. We have several Tanker babies coming this spring, and they look really good as babies. We don't breed for show cattle, and he's another one I wouldn't think would put a slick front one anything. Our best fall heifer is an Added Value if you can stand his numbers. He fell off for WW and YW with the last calculation...looks like a calving ease bull, but our calves are growing pretty well and they're nice patterned.

I have to respect the fact that you're looking for something other than a Dream On...not that I don't like some of em, I just think there are way too many! If you're thinking about old pedigrees like Lucky Break, I'd look at Nichols Legacy before LB... Start looking at the cow side of the pedigrees of cattle you like...a lot of those cattle will be Legacy bred.