buckled knees on 2 month old calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

ia girl

I have a calf that turned 2 months old today.    About a month ago she had a knot on the inside of her knee.  I gave her two rounds of LA200 and put her in a pen with another pair so that she did not have to travel out in the pasture.  Took her to the vet last Friday and she vet put a sweat wrap on the knee to help lower the swelling.  The vet thought maybe joint fluid but did not want to tap due to infection possibilities at the site.  Now the poor little thing is buckled on both knees.  Nurses, eats grain and jumps around a bit but when she stands it like she wants to go down on her knees.  Is there anything else to do????  Should I have her put down???  The vet is coming back later this am.

ia girl

I forgot to mention the sire of the calf is Jesse James.  The cow is sired by Dirty Harry  and on the dams side is Majors Money Man x Aviator

BTDT

Don't panic yet! You have made the best move by call and making an appointment with your vet.  It could be a number of things, including structural, but lets wait and see if your vet finds infection, or fluid and then move forward. Keep an eye on other joints.
Good luck.

For what it is worth, I am not a fan of LA200.

rackranch

Pain meds and anti inflammatory meds would be my next step. Which I hope the Vet did already.  She is probably down on her knees because she is in pain.  Vet needs to figure out the source of the problem. Did they take her temp on the first visit? If so, did she have a  fever?  LA 200 is not your solution.  I would not put her down.G-Luck

ia girl

It just makes me so sad.    :(    This is my grandson's first calf and he is so proud of her.   

Cyfarmer

We have a Walks Alone bull calf the same way. He is buck kneed and toes out really bad. It's a structure issue. He is super thick, and hairy but can't walk.  We plan to get him grown up to whenever he can't walk then put him in the freezer. They will kill you at the salebarn, and there isn't much else you can do that I am aware of.

ia girl

Was your Walks Alone calf ok at birth???  My little calf has been fine up untill she developed this lump on the inside of her one knee about a month ago.    Just wish I had the answers, but I am not sure I will have them.    It is the cows first baby so I hate to blame it on her.

Cyfarmer

our calf seemed ok for the first few days - but then once he got more mobile - was with out a doubt a cripple

ia girl

Well,  the came out.  Tapped the knee and said it was joint fluid.  She said the calf would never make a show calf and would maybe make it to 700 lbs and the to the freezer.  Bummer.....   

BTDT

Sorry to hear that. There is definitely a fine line between "perfectly sound" and "cripple". At least maybe now you can make alternative plans for showing another calf.

ia girl

I should prove read what I type before I post it.  lol!!!    We will have others to show, but it was his first breeding heifer's calf---just makes it tough.      Do you think that problem is genectic or injury or?????  Has anyone else delt with this issue?  Was wondering how big you thought heifer may get before we have to say our goodbyes to her?  The vet did say to give the cow another chance as it was her first calf so hard to blame her.    We have bred a BIM heifer to Jesse James so was just curious.

Telos

I think the Vet should give you their opinion. Did they say it was a genetic, injury, or disease?

ia girl

She did not know if it was caused by an injury or genectics.  I am thinking genectics because I have never seen her limp or appear injured.  Just noticed the lump on inside of her knee about a month ago.